𝖎. you know better, babe...

IT WILL COME BACK / 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖔𝖓𝖊

Like many people after living their first millennia, Elijah Mikaelson was quite partial to a moment of peace

He'd begun to appreciate a slow morning; that dip between the night and daybreak, where everything seemed to hold its breath. There, for just a moment, the world was quiet.

He'd become an early riser, holding onto those last few traces of calamity before the whole sky exploded into colour.

He'd let his sanity linger there, just before the horizon was set alight by a dawning sun. Then everything would begin: crowning whatever it touched with hues that made everything look like it was burning.

That's what he thought about when he thought about peace.

Notably, not seeing his sisters name appear on his cell phone.

He'd drawn it out of his suit pocket in the middle of a meeting.

His back turned on a man who'd spent the last ten minutes talking a little too animatedly with his hands for Elijah's taste. The screen flickered with REBEKAH is CALLING... and he had to do his best to stifle his sigh.

He bit the tip of his tongue with the manner of a man who had pointedly sent a message to all of his siblings simultaneously, highlighting the hour of a very important meeting in which he was not to be disturbed.

Rebekah had given the message a thumbs up, so he'd known, for sure, she'd been aware of it. Kol had read the message and neglected entirely to respond.

(Klaus, meanwhile, had simply never opened it.)

Without further thought, he swiped DECLINE and apologised for the interruption.

The strain in tone made the other man smile.

His apology was shrugged away. Just a shrug and an 'It's okay.'

Elijah's expression twisted like the sharp hand of a dagger between someone's shoulder blades: a remarkably unfriendly smile, veiled behind a thousand years of reminding himself that he was supposed to be the relatively stable one–– but, naturally, Elijah wasn't asking if it was okay.