You Look Happier

Walking down the lane to get some fresh air at the park, Sebastian looked up when he heard a familiar voice.
It was her. But she wasn't alone.
There was a man with her. They were walking together hand in hand, seeming to share a nice conversation.
Sebastian's heart ached when he saw her smile. It wasn't all that long ago that he was the cause of it. But those days are over now.

I saw you in another's arms
Only a month we've been apart
You look happier

The image of her with another man hadn't left Sebastian's mind all week. On Friday night, he decided it would be a good idea to go out for a drink.
Walking into the Three Broomsticks, he got a Firewhiskey from Sirona and took a seat at the bar. It wasn't very busy yet, but there were enough people to make the pub feel lively.

And then that tinkling laughter reached his ears.

He said somethin' to make you laugh
I saw that both your smiles were twice as wide as ours
Yeah, you look happier, you do

Sebastian whipped his head around and saw her sitting with that same guy again. They were seated on a couch near the fireplace. She was laughing at something he must've said.
For a moment, he let himself get lost in the sight of her smile. He realized how long it has been since he had seen her so... happy.

Truly happy.

Ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you
But ain't nobody love you like I do

Of course Sebastian knew how much he had hurt her. He'd taken her for granted and he would forever regret it.
'Ignorant' he had called her, the one time she didn't agree with him and dared argue with him. It was the biggest mistake of his life and the worst part was that he hadn't even meant it.
Sebastian knew he loved her more than the guy she was sitting with did, but due to his own immaturity he had messed up his chances.

Promise that I will not take it personal, baby
If you're movin' on with someone new

He couldn't blame her for leaving him. Couldn't blame her for moving on.
Sebastian had brought this onto himself. He had pushed her away when she needed him most. She must've believed he didn't love her and looking back on his actions, he couldn't blame her for that.

'Cause baby you look happier, you do
My friends told me one day I'll feel it too

When he had talked to Ominis about it, the blonde man had assured him that one day Sebastian would move on and find someone else to love again.
That someone would make Sebastian feel happy again. He just had to be patient as it will take time.
His other friends basically echoed that statement, allowing him to feel a sliver of hope that that day will come.

And until then I'll smile to hide the truth
But I know I was happier with you

***

Sat in the corner of the room
Everything's reminding me of you

It was a Saturday, weeks away from the time Sebastian first spotted her in the park with her new boyfriend.
His drink had been empty for some time, but he couldn't be bothered to get up and go to the bar to fetch a new one.
He was sitting in a corner on one of the upper levels in the Three Broomsticks. It was rowdy inside and normally the loud chatter around him of drunken customers would make him grind his teeth, but right now it felt like a nice blanket that protected him from the quiet loneliness waiting for him outside of the pub.

Nursing an empty bottle
And telling myself you're happier, aren't you?

Sebastian knew she were somewhere out there, probably cozying up with her new boyfriend while reading a book. Something they used to do a lot.
Merlin did he miss those times.
He could still remember the way her body felt leaning against his, the way her hair smelled like roses and the way she would hum or chuckle whenever something interesting or funny happened in her book.

If only he could turn back time.

Oh, ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you
But ain't nobody need you like I do

When Sebastian's nightmares started playing up again, he found himself waking up in the middle of the night crying, searching for comfort that wasn't there anymore.
The spot on the bed next to him where she used to lie, ready to take him in her arms, was empty. It had been empty for months now.

It was all his fault.

If only he had never hurt her the way he did. If only he had told her that he loved her at least once. If only he had told her how much he needed her.

***

I know that there's others that deserve you
But my darlin', I am still in love with you

He had been introduced to him.
When Sebastian was at Ominis' place where they celebrated his birthday, she and her boyfriend had been invited among others.
Poppy had been the one to spot Sebastian coming in, just when she was talking to the happy couple.
She had waved him over and to this day he doesn't know how he did it, but he kept a smile and pretended to be alright while he shook hands with her boyfriend and even made some small talk.

He genuinely was a great guy. Much better than Sebastian had been and he already knew he would probably treat her better.

Sadly that thought didn't make his feelings go away.

But I guess you look happier, you do
My friends told me one day I'll feel it too
I could try to smile to hide the truth
But I know I was happier with you

Sebastian had kept his distance during the party, his friends letting him be after assuring him for the millionth time that he'll feel better one day. That he'll be able to move on some day too and be happy again.

He didn't even try to smile at them, knowing that they knew he was happier with her.

From the corner where he was sitting, he observed her. The woman he loved for so long and was still in love with.
She genuinely looked so happy. She was laughing and smiling. There weren't any bags under her eyes and her skin had never been as clear and radiant as it was now.

'Cause baby, you look happier, you do
I knew one day you'd fall for someone new

Sebastian's eyes fell on the man that had made her this happy. As much as it pained him, he was happy that she was in good hands.

Though one last thought crossed his mind as he watched the happy couple smile at each other.

But if he breaks your heart like lovers do
Just know that I'll be waitin' here for you