Vegas

FORZA CHARLES! SO PROUD OF HIM FOR WINNING MONACO! CHARLES ON THE PODIUM HAD ALL MY EMOTIONS GOING 🥹! DID YOU ALL FREAK TOO?

MIA'S POV:

I sat nervously in Charles drivers room with F1 TV on full blast. The race was 3 quarters of the way through, Charles pushing Max each lap and closing the gap while each sector was ticking by. The race so consuming, I winced when my nail biting habit pulled at a tiny hangnail. That moment was needed though to snap out of nervous girlfriend to Ferrari writer mode.

The list for my draft continuing to build.

-Cooler conditions confirmed to be playing in Ferraris favor
-Tire deg not factor
-Medium tire pushing and in sweet spot
-Impact of DRS keeping cars in race after passes

The familiar smoke of a lock up caught my vision on the tv. It was Max and by the next corner, the gap had lessened by another half second. To keep from having bloody nail beds because of nervousness, I put my computer down and headed for the garage knowing this would come down to the final few laps. Joining the others would also help with getting takes that could finish out my story. At least that's what I was telling myself.

Slipping into the garage I saw Andrea pacing near the tv in the back of the garage. It was far more quiet than the front tv area that also had the mechanics seated in front. I could feel their nervous energy simply from the opposite end of the garage. Andrea seemed like the safe person to watch the remainder of the race with, both of us understanding of the nervousness we carried.

I jumped up onto the tall toolbox using it as a stool and Andrea's eyes flashed to me. Simply by adding two extra steps to his pacing route, he could now pass by me.

"Mammamia Mia, he's going to give you gray hairs if Charles keeps this up," Andrea said in perfect timing passing me before he turned and made his way back towards the other wall.

Andrea always had a way of relying on humor to make any situation better and it was something I'd come to depend on in moments like these.

"And you wrinkles," I said back when he turned on his heel towards me.

Andrea faked a gasp. "You insult my unspoiled youth," Andrea winked at me but as soon as our banter picked up there were claps from the engineers. Like clockwork both Andrea and I's focus snapped towards the tv, our attention unmoving.

"It looks like Charles just got close enough for DRS," I barely whispered but Andrea nodded letting me know it was just loud enough to be heard.

He leaned back into the tool box I was sitting on, the two of us side by side. "Only 6 laps left. Just a matter of time."

"This could be excruciating," the words slipped out of me.

Andrea dropped his hand onto mine squeezing tightly as we saw Charles DRS fall open, a lunge opportunity approaching. "No no. The crash was excruciating, this is was he has trained for."

The comment made me grin and I squeezed Andrea's hand back. "Forza Charles," I breathed out.

CHARLES POV:

The drama was massive in the final laps alone. I accomplished my pass for the lead at my first DRS chance only to lock up and go deep on turn 11 a few laps ago. Vegas had a wonderful quality though, if you stayed close after a pass you could keep your race alive by keeping DRS. My eyes were still set on Max's rear wing and unlike him I was still getting DRS in every zone.

With only two laps left, I needed to save the moment. If I passed now, Max could do the same on the final lap. Living under his gear box, I chose to continue in that place going into the last lap. At this point, it was P1 or bust. Through the first corners and straight of the final lap, I stayed pressed into Max. In the turn into the final back straight I gave the space to fall into Max's slip stream. Far enough away he would think I was crazy for what I was planning. I was close enough to feel my car sliding into the tug.

The brake zone was coming but my foot wasn't ready. I could see Max's pace slow. In this moment I would either be a hero getting a pat on the back from Max or owe him an apology. Before braking I slipped out of the stream, took the inside line, and braked far after the zone. I felt my jaw tense waiting for the lock up, a slide into Max, and Oscar getting his first race win from third. The second I straightened out my hands from the turn, I was staring at the lights of Vegas and not Max's car. My foot found the pedal and there was no letting up until the checkered flag was in sights.

You've done it. P1!

I didn't even realize the yells escaping me or the massive smile on my face. I slowed my car down and raised a hand waving to the crowds until my wind down lap was coming to and end. Everything was a blur until I saw where to park. The first sign coming into view and I gave it a playful tap coming to a stop. My hands pulled out the steering, I hoisted myself out, put the steering back, and jumped up onto the top of my car screaming towards the waiting team. A flash of a red mob just steps away, and when I focused in I could only see Mia clapping and jumping up and down beside Andrea. I leaped off my car and ran straight towards her. Mia's eyes didn't go wide or surprised when she was the first in my arms. My arms wrapped tightly around her as she jumped into me, the barrier hardly doing its job as we celebrated.

***Sorry for the delay in updates. Lots to come in the next few weeks! ❤️