Chapter 2

"Yuji!!"

You've made it back to his spot, but you can't seem to find him.

"Where are you.."

Had you lead one monster away only to draw another to him. You turn when you see the small spark.

"Yuji!"

You smile, seeing him standing in one piece, but he's not alone. Your smile drops immediately, and the man dressed in dark robes. He has a weapon, a pretty long sword and you're terrified now.

"W-What are you doing to him!!" you freeze, watching the male press the base of his sword to the boy's head. His chains disappeared, and from the bright light, it seemed he was about to meet the same faith. Despite that he smiled at you.

It's okay, I'm going somewhere better, I can feel it. " Your eyes wavered. "Thank you for everything." With a final smile he was gone.

"Yuji-kun.." He looked like he was actually at peace, yet your chest still clenched. You'd just gotten so used to him being around when you came back from school. The dark haired male turned to you, steel eyes watching you carefully.

You still weren't completely sure whose side he was on, and with that sword in his hand, you weren't really fond of staying here to figure it out. Moving back, you flashstepped.

Byakuya blinked in surprise. "That human." He'd barely caught a glimpse of you when he cut down the hollow, but now he understood. It wasn't just after the soul, but also you. Sheathing his blade he followed your pattern.

"Who is this girl?"

You weren't an acquaintance of Ichigo, he would have remembered your face. Or the reiatsu you were now giving off as you ran.

"She's fast. For a human she seems very adept in using flash steps."

Rukia warned him that there were others like Inoue and Sado. He supposed he may have underestimated your strength. Although you clearly weren't gifted in physical battles, your spiritual pattern was strong.

"Right here."

He landed on a building, and in a matter of seconds you landed, letting out a breath of relief. Your back was turned, so you obviously hadn't seen him.

"Lost him." You mutter, placing your hands on your knees.

"She isn't skilled in sensing reiatsu either."

He took steps forward, watching you catch your breath.

"You're quick for a human." You flinched, spinning around. "W-Where did you.." Backing up, you prepare to take off again. You barely make two steps before he's right in front of you. He grabs your wrist.

"Stop running."

"L-Let me go!!"

You were terrified. Not only did he have a weapon, but apparently he had the same abilities as you. You couldn't see a way out of this where you were unharmed. If he was here to hurt you, then you would be a goner. You couldn't fight. And running around wouldn't work. You could only use it so much until your body gave out.

His eyes looked dangerous. Your hands were trembling, and when he noticed, he released your hand. You kept at a distance, staring at him wearily.

"What's your name?"

"I-I.." Was it really a good idea to tell this stranger who you were?

He moved to take a step closer and you pressed a hand to your chest, closing your eyes. "P-Please don't hurt me!"

He stopped at that.

"I'm not going to harm you." His tone although flat, you could make out a hint of sincerity in it. Opening your eyes, you could see that he was watching over you differently. Those eyes were still pretty stoic, but his gait was less threatening.

"My name is (Y/N). " you mutter. Now that it didn't look like he would smite you with his sword you felt better.

"You aren't an associate of Kurosaki Ichigo." You blink.

"Y-You know Ichigo?"

You knew who the orange haired male was, mainly because he was constantly getting scolded by the teachers.

He nods. "You possess a high amount of reiatsu for a human."

Now that he thought about it, you weren't the only one.

"It seems the world of the living is evolving." More than they realized. This would have to be reported. There's no doubt that hollows would make you a target. For now though, maybe it was best that you forgot everything.

Byakuya pulled out the small container. You tilted your head in confusion at the small packet of candy he appeared to be holding,

"This is for the best." He didn't say much else, just pressed the button and the chappy bunny head popped off. A small puff of smoke erupted, and Byakuya watched you. He was thoroughly confused that not only were you still conscious, but he could see no relative change.

"Ummm, what was that?" His eyes grew at that.

"Why are you.."

Something wasn't right. This was supposed to erase your memories and replace them with new ones. Yet it had no effect.

"What are you?" You back up. Now he seemed a little more hostile.

"I-I'm a regular person what kind of question is that!" You're more scared than anything.

He's still watching you, it makes you very uncomfortable. His eyes felt probing.

"I do sense power, but nothing malicious."

The fear in your eyes, if you were an enemy surely you would have struck him by now. From your previous incident. It's clear you don't have much defenses other than flash steps.

"She is just a human girl."

"W-Who are you?"

A part of him debates telling you anything. But then, what was the alternative? He didn't have much of a choice. There was no way to get rid of what you just saw, and he couldn't afford to let you run off without knowing the danger you could face.

"My name is Byakuya Kuchiki, I am a Soul Reaper."

This was the right choice, even if he didn't like it.