Chapter Nine

Photo shoots, cameras, interviews, and raging super fans consumed Lauren's days after filming had finished. By the third day of the absolute nightmarish behavior, Lauren was ready to hop in her car and drive home so she could have some much needed down time with herself and Camila. The ride home rose Lauren's anxiety to an all time high, because she was so ready to go home and lay down and do nothing.

After almost an hour of traffic, Lauren arrived at her penthouse, covering her face with over sized sunglasses and the tribal pattern scarf that was looped around her neck. The paparazzi just didn't know when to let up, and with the week Lauren was having, she was one hundred percent over the Hollywood scene.

Lauren avoided the flashing lights and ridiculous questions as best as she could, using her key to open the gates to the building. Thankfully, she got in quick, but the crowd of paparazzi were pushing themselves against the iron wrought fence, tossing interrogatives about her career, her sexuality, and even her relationship with Camila.

Tuning them out, Lauren sauntered up to the front doors of the complex, sticking her key card through the slot, and stepping into the revolving doors and they spun. As soon as she entered the room, she heard a girl scream, and if she were anyone else, it would alarm her. A teenage girl with light blonde hair and sun kissed skin approached Lauren, her hands shaking.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry! I just can't believe Lauren Jauregui is standing right in front of me!" The girl commented, tears of happiness spilling down her make up clad cheeks.

Lauren shrugged, plastering a smile on her face, "I'm just a person, don't cry sweet heart," Lauren stated, pulling the fan into a tight hug.

The girl continued to sob, and when she finished, she backed away from Lauren, and asked the long awaited question, "Is it okay if I get a picture with you?"

"Of course," Lauren grinned, pushing her sunglasses to the top of her head as she leaned in next to the girl, looking at her own reflection of the iPhone screen. Once the photo was taken, Lauren inquired, "Do you have anything you'd like me to sign?"

The young girl nodded, reaching inside of her over-the-shoulder satchel and pulled out a wallet, which had a young Lauren Jauregui's face plastered on the front.

"God, this merchandise was so ugly," Lauren replied, shaking her head as she recalled her days on the Disney Channel, "What's you name? I'm being rude, and I didn't ask."

"Carrie," The girl, Carrie, answered, "While we're here, can I thank you? I'm a lesbian, and yours and Camila's relationship helped me get over my internalized homophobia. I recently came out to my parents, and you two really helped me break out of my shell, thank you," Carrie claimed, nodding with complete sincerity.

Lauren's eyes welled up with tears, and she swallowed the lump in her throat to respond, "I'm glad that I could help you."

"You're making a huge difference, even if it doesn't seem like it," Carrie said, taking her wallet back, "I'll leave you go now, and my sister is probably wondering what's taking me so long, thank you, again," Carrie waved, and then she was off, jogging up the stairs.

Lauren was exhausted, so she avoided the stairs like they were the plague, and she opted for the elevator instead. Lauren jammed her floor number, and through the soothing sounds of the elevator music, Lauren couldn't help but be haunted by Carrie's words. Of course, Lauren had heard the typical 'you saved my life' and the 'i love you' lines time and time again, but never had she literally changed someone's life.

The reflective doors to the elevator opened, and on the outside, Lauren was greeted by her front door. Lauren keyed the lock, and stepped inside of the oddly warm penthouse, and threw her jacket onto a nearby chair.