Chapter 18

As I lay in bed, thoughts of Erling and his girlfriend's heated exchange replayed in my mind. I felt as though I stumbled upon something I shouldn't have. Although I was confused about the truth, I knew for sure that Erling was struggling. I picked up my phone and impulsively unblocked his number, staring at the screen with uncertainty. Contemplating whether to call him, I attempted to swipe away the screen, but my finger slipped, inadvertently dialing his number. Before I could correct my mistake, Erling answered the call, catching me off guard.

I froze, unsure of what to say. My mind raced as I tried to come up with an excuse for why I called. But before I could say anything, Erling's voice came through the line. "Hey," he said, his tone curious. "Someone finally decided to unblock me."

I was annoyed with myself for calling him, but hearing his voice was oddly soothing. "Hey, sorry for bothering you. I didn't mean to call this late, it's past your bedtime."

"Yeah, it is, but I don't mind staying up for a bit," he said, and I could sense a smile in his voice. "You left the event so early, I was..." He paused, searching for the right words. "I was afraid I might not see you again."

It was somehow reassuring to know that my absence was noticed by him. "I'm sorry," I admitted. "I didn't know how to confront you."

"I understand," he sighed, "and I apologise if I said anything out of line."

"You didn't do anything wrong," I assured him. "Can I take you out for coffee tomorrow?"

"You want to meet me?" His teasing tone clearly gave it away that he was smirking on the other end of the phone.

"Erling, I want to clear a few things," I said in a serious tone, ensuring he knew I wasn't in a mood to be playful.

"Alright, but I can't go out," he said. "How about you come over?"

I hesitated but I understood his situation, since the press and the public never left him alone. "Okay," I replied, swallowing my pride. "I'll be there."

I decided to take a day off from work and headed for Erling's apartment, feeling nervous yet a part of me was looking forward to it. It had been quite some time since I last visited that upscale area of the city. Erling answered the doorbell, and as soon as he opened the door, I remembered how much I missed being around him. I followed him to the kitchen, where he brewed coffee for me, and we sat down by the table once he finished.

"How have you been?" he inquired, studying my expression, his gaze sending tingles across my skin. "And how's your mum doing?"

"I've been doing alright," I replied, my voice trembling slightly. "Mum's been doing better. She's still unable to walk, but she's making good progress."

"Glad to hear that," he said, resting his back against the chair.

I took a sip of the coffee and set the cup down, attempting to shake off my nervousness. "Erling, I overheard something I shouldn't have," I admitted. A look of curiosity crossed his face as he furrowed his brow and tilted his head. "I happened to overhear your argument with your girlfriend."

He paused, letting out a sigh. "How much of it did you hear?"

"I heard everything," I responded. "I'm still trying to make sense of it all, and I haven't fully processed what I heard."

"It is the truth," he interrupted. "She and I were never in a relationship. We've known each other for a while, we've been friends, but we never dated. It was all for public events. My PR manager wanted me to find a partner to accompany me to events for the sake of public image. Things got more complicated than they should have." I listened intently as he continued. "She lied to me about being pregnant with my child, claiming we spent a night together when I was drunk although I had no memory of it. Turned out she wasn't even pregnant, and I only found out after I bribed her doctor, who then revealed the truth to me. But even before that, she manipulated me in different ways. Blackmail, empty threats, you name it. I was just a trophy to her."

Suddenly, a flashback flashed through my mind, back to the time when we were lying on his bed, and he said those words: "You make me feel like you see the heart beneath my football shirt." Everything suddenly started to click into place. Erling had his own battles, and realising that I had dismissed his feelings and encouraged him to be with someone who made him feel so miserable, I couldn't help but feel guilty.

I reached out and placed my hand on top of his, catching him off guard. "I'm sorry, I had no idea you were going through all of this," I said, swallowing hard. He held onto my hand, gently stroking it with his thumb. "You should consider making a contract with her—" Before I could finish my sentence, he cut me off.

"There's no need. I'm done with her. I can attend events on my own," he said firmly, his expression serious. However, his demeanor gradually softened. "Or even better, I could take you with me."

My eyes widened at his suggestion, and I shook my head vigorously, completely against the idea. "There's no way, I'm not—" I paused, suddenly self-conscious about my physical appearance, thinking about my insecurities like the dark circles under my eyes and the rash that had recently appeared on my face.

"You are beautiful." Those three words caught me off guard, and I looked at him in surprise. He smiled softly as he spoke, his eyes tenderly meeting mine. I could sense a slight tremor in the ground as he nervously shook his leg under the table, and he gulped audibly, clearly anxious about what he had just said.

"Liar," I murmured almost inaudibly, but for some reason, a smile tugged at my lips involuntarily. I couldn't discern if he was being sincere or if he was lying, but hearing those words felt strangely comforting.

"Aria, why do you doubt my words?" His grip on my hand tightened as he held it firmly with both of his hands.

Because I always felt ashamed and somewhat defensive, I hadn't opened up about my insecurities before. The darkness around my eyes made me want to hide my face wherever I went. It was my biggest flaw. I gestured towards the dark circles under my eyes, avoiding his gaze.

He released my hand and reached out to gently stroke my cheek, his thumb tracing the dark circles. "These are your battle scars," he said softly. "I quite like them."

As I looked at him, I instantly sensed his sincerity. The expression on his face was so endearing, almost as if his innermost feelings were written there, and it was evident that he had missed me. My cheeks flushed warm and red as he continued to hold my gaze.

"Aria, are you okay with this?" he asked as he withdrew his hand. "Whatever we are—"

"We're just friends," I quickly interjected, a smile forming on my face. "At least for now. I need some time to think. But I'll be here for you whenever you need me. After all, I'm one of your biggest fans. So, friends?"

He didn't seem surprised by my response, but he returned the smile with a nod. "Friends."