2-

Next week we're going to a party at Russel's frat house. The party gets pretty crowded downstairs, so we snag a bottle of vodka and a bottle of sprite before heading upstairs. Russ is already on the couch, hitting a comically large bong. Jas and I, already tipsy, burst out laughing at the absolutely stoned expression on his face before joining him. Jas immediately cuddles up into his side, and I sit on the loveseat across from them.

There are two other frat brothers here, Cal and Andy. I don't know them well, but I've seen them around enough to know they're loud mouthed with the personalities of your stereotypical fraternity brothers. They also look very stoned, but they prove to be good enough company to chit chat with while we all pass the bong. I start feeling pretty high. Andy is telling us a story about the last girl he slept with, but I'm spacing out, thinking about my latest project. The proportions glare at me in my mind. The piece is due at the end of next week, and all the fucking proportions are off. 

Eventually, Eva finds us upstairs.

I suppress the urge to roll my eyes as she starts complaining. "Guys, let's play a game or something. Not just sit around."

"What game?" Jas says at the same time as I say, "I don't want to play a fucking game."

There's a pause and out of obligation, I say, "What should we play?"

We end up playing truth or dare. I'm trying not to drink too much because bong hits usually get me a little more than fucked up, but I lose track of how many sips I take to clear my throat. A few more random people trickle upstairs. Some people are just looking for a bathroom.

I watch Jas as she gets dared to lick one of Andy's hairy nipples. Russ gets dared to chug an entire solo cup concocted of random liquids, which he does to my disgust, especially because I'm pretty sure I saw Cal put in some liquid from a soup can. Gross.

Looking pointedly at me, Eva asks, "Violet, truth or dare?"

I'm definitely high. Leave it to Eva to induce a flood of sudden anxiety. I panic at the thought of having to do something gross for her amusement, and I burst out, "Truth."

Maybe I'm more fucked up than I thought because a quick survey of the room reveals Harry is sitting across from me. He's smiling, like he knows I just noticed him for the first time. It feels like we're looking at each other for a long time, and having his attention makes me shy.

"Who's the last person you slept with?" Eva asks.

Oh, shit.

"Uh-" My mouth opens as my face flushes red. "It was-was-" Am I supposed to lie? Just make up a name? Say he goes to a different school?

Finally, I say, "I don't really kiss and tell."

Eva narrows her eyes. She's wearing a tiny denim skirt and an even smaller tube top. She's actually really pretty, it's just too bad her entire personality grates me.

"It's a game, Violet, you have to answer. Don't be a bad sport!" Her voice is loud, grating, and her tone is playful but heavy, like she hasn't quite mastered how to come off as a bubbly, friendly girl when she so transparently dislikes me.

I laugh it off, like I do with most of the trouble Eva gives me. Part of me thinks she only asked that question of me because she wants to know if I've slept with Harry, which of course I haven't. From Jasmine I've learned that Eva and Harry hook up from time to time, that he's not the type to start a relationship, and Eva's not the type to come on too strong, so even though she's borderline obsessed with him, she acts like she isn't. I can't be certain, but I suscept the reason she doesn't like me and never will is because of him. Because he has his little joke of calling me 'Gorgeous', like it's my fault. Her infatuation with him is mildly annoying but it's also none of my business.