XX

I was never envious

I was never envious. I've always been contented with what I have and what I am given.

I grew up not having much but that didn't shape me to become someone who'd always be jealous and wishing to have something that somebody else have.

I may be lacking in a lot of things but I'd never steal something from someone.

That was until my dad re-married and met his now new wife. My step mom.

It's crazy to think that a person can be crazily in love with a person; so sure and committed. Next thing you know, they've already moved on and found a new person.

I couldn't blame my dad. Of course I wanted him to find love again. He deserves it. Everyone deserves to love and be loved. There are no limits in falling in love, is what they say. But I guess the change in a person when finding new love is what I can't wrap my head around in. How could one be so sure yet, time and certain circumstances could make everything uncertain?

You see, people tend to show different personalities depending on who they are with. We show a certain personality in front of our family, a different one when we're with our friends from school, a different one in front of our friends outside of school, and so on. I think the same thing applies when we fall in love with different people.

If you're a softy with your first love, you can be a whole different person with your new found love; It's the change in us that brings these personalities out of people.

Growth. Change.

Well, as for my dad, he found a new love. He met Ms. Chen seven years after my mom passed. Growing up, I didn't see my dad dwelling on his longing for my mom. I mean, yes, from time to time, I'd hear him talk to her through mumbling prayers. The subtle night air lulling his hushed voice as he sends his sorrows towards the sky, as if my mom would somehow still answer him. Some nights, I'd hear his sad voice as he talks to the air, almost pleading, having empty conversations in his room and wishing her well. Asking her to always look after us.

My dad always made sure that everyday, he'll greet me good morning with a warm smile. As if the night before didn't happen. As if he didn't spend at least an hour talking to no one, with his thoughts steady on his memories of my late mother.

For the first few years of my early life, I've viewed my dad as someone who's soft and gentle with his kid. Though he filled the void of being both my dad and my mom, his approach in raising me has always been so gentle and caring.

One day, my dad had this sudden brightness on his face. As if there was a light switch somewhere and it had been abruptly turned on. I've always thought that my dad was okay.. that maybe he wasn't that sad being left alone with a kid. But only when that day came did I realize that he was actually missing a spark. His mood was suddenly much better, face brighter, and it was as if there was a pep in his every step.