9

Jimin pov.

School on Friday was uneventful, thank goodness. No one said anything else about the gym incident, and only a few people commented on my eyes. The rest probably had already chalked it up to just another fight between us. After all, it was no secret we were enemies.

I spent most of the weekend hanging out with Taehyung. Sunday was no exception, and we spent the majority of it lazing about in his room since the weather was cold and rainy. At the moment, I was currently lounging on his bedroom floor, staring up at the ceiling, thinking of how much cooler Jungkook's room was compared to his-not that I would ever tell Taehyung that.

I groaned and shook more chips from the bag into my bowl. "I don't want tomorrow to be Monday."

"Why? You have a killer test or something?" Taehyung asked, taking a handful of chips.

"No. I promised Mrs. Parks I'd come to school early so I could show a newb around the school." And if tomorrow's Monday, that meant today was Sunday, and the time I'd have to spend with Jungkook was fast approaching.

"Oh." Taehyung wiggled his brows. "New guy?"

"Uh, no. It's a freshman and a girl," I said.

Taehyung grunted. “Why are you always helping her out, anyway? It’s not like you get anything out of it. Plus, she punished you. Shouldn’t you hate her and be retaliating or something?”

“No,” I said, not meeting his eye. “I help because she asked, and I don’t want her to be mad at me.”

“It’s Mrs. principal. She’s always mad at everyone. It’s her job.”

Not me, I wanted to say.

“You don’t always have to do what makes everyone else happy, you know. Sometimes you can say no. Do what you want.”

I kept my head down, intently staring at my chips.

“jimin,” Taehyung said, “look at me.”

“What?” I shrugged, trying to look innocent. “Listen, I don’t need one of your lectures, okay? It’s fine. I’m fine. It gets me out of the house, anyway.”

Taehyung sighed, grumbling something under his breath about being a people pleaser that I chose to ignore. So what if I wanted people to like me. Was that such a crime?

I glanced at my watch and gasp. It was almost noon, which meant I’d soon have to leave for The location to set up the Angel Tree. Every time I thought about having to spend time with Jungkook again one-on-one, my stomach twisted. But I wasn’t nervous. I was anxious. Big difference.

“I can’t believe Jungkook and I survived on Wednesday night without killing each other. You know, there was even a moment there where I thought we were getting along, which reminds me,” I rolled from my back onto my stomach and narrowed my eyes at him. “Why didn’t you tell me he was going to JYP? You know that’s my number one.”

Taehyung sunk down beside me on the floor, propping himself up against the footboard of his bed. “I was going to tell you after dinner Wednesday night when we were loading the dishwasher, and then I thought, why ruin it for you? You need to go where you want, without anything or anyone influencing you. That, and I didn’t want to be the bearer of bad news.” He laughed.

I screwed up my face. I guess he had a point. “You’re forgiven, even though you have a hot date for the dance, and I do not.”

“You’re going to the dance. Someone will ask you. You have two weeks yet.”

I raised a brow. Wow. Two whole weeks. “Even after choking a guy out in front of my entire gym class? Yeah, I’m sure all the guys are just dying to ask me out. In fact, they’re probably fighting over me now, which is why no one’s asked yet.” I rolled my eyes.

“Friday at lunch, I saw Tsuyu and Lisa huddled together with a couple other MG’s, miming strangling themselves at the lunch table. And their eyes definitely met mine afterward. None of the boys in my class are going to want to touch me with a ten-foot pole.”

Taehyung pursed his lips, then shrugged. “You have a point.”

I tossed a chip his way, but he swiftly caught it in his mouth, earning a chuckle from me.

"Pretty impressive. I can't stay mad at that," I chuckled.

"Sorry I can't be your dance partner," he apologized, to which I simply shrugged.

"It's not your fault you're into someone who's into you too," I remarked. Seeing his look, I quickly added, "Okay, okay, I get it. I'm not into anyone, and I haven't really been trying, but..."

"Why aren't you into anyone?" he inquired.

I took a sip of my soda, buying a moment to gather my thoughts. "Do I really need to be?"

"It's just that you haven't shown interest in anyone since sophomore year. What's the deal with that?"

"I don't know. I guess..." I returned the chips to the bowl and wiped my hands, sitting up. "Things at home are so intense that dating hasn't been a priority for me."

"But going out, dating, it could be good for you, a way to take your mind off things," he suggested.

"I'm not trying to start an argument. I've been working my tail off to ace these exams and secure good grades to get into my dream college. Most of my energy is focused on that. There's not much left over. Plus, I guess no one has really caught my attention."

"No one at all?" he probed.

I furrowed my brow. "Why all the sudden interest? We never discuss my love life, or rather, the lack of it. You always steer clear of that topic, claiming it's gross," I pointed out.

Taehyung nonchalantly popped a potato chip into his mouth. "No reason," he mumbled around the crunchy snack.

A/n: So sorry for the short chapter, got a bit bored 😭. But don't worry, a longer one is on its way in the next update. I'll make sure it's more exciting for you all. Stay tuned for the next chapter!😊