Chapter 13

Get ready for an exciting chapter! 13 chapters in and Ghostkit finally becomes an apprentice :') Lore dump warning, btw.

Ghostkit looked around curiously. The trees around her seemed to stretch farther than she could see, blocking any view of the sky. The only light was a green glow from beneath the moss and undergrowth. Pawing the plants away, she spotted glow-worms. She'd never seen them before, but they intrigued her. Nearby, a trail of murky water, river-like, streamed throughout the forest, dark and enchanting. She hadn't expected this place to be so pretty.

This was the Dark Forest, wasn't it?

The Place Of No Stars?

Then why did the glow-worms, the dark river, and the lush undergrowth make it look so mysterious and enchanting, instead of dark and creepy? She blinked. Maybe this was some other place.

"Oh! How did you get here?" A voice behind exclaimed.

Ghostkit spun around to see a white tom with black patches and green eyes. He smiled at her. For a moment she thought it was Blacksky, but he didn't have those tiny paws and fluffy tail, and Blacksky definitely didn't have a face as round as this cat's. This cat was more like Snowfall.

"Who are you?" Ghostkit hissed.

The tom chuckled. "You must be my adopted grand-daughter. I'm Figstorm, Blacksky's dad."

"Blacksky's your kit?" Ghostkit mewed. "I guess you do look similar to him, Snowfall and Willowfern."

Figstorm nodded. "You're Ghostkit, aren't you? Funny how my son practically adopted you. It'll be a shame when he find out about-"

"FIGSTORM!!!"

Both cats spun around to see a small gray tabby she-cat with glaring brown eyes padding quickly towards Figstorm. She didn't seem to notice Ghostkit.

"Is Beeflight right in telling me," The gray tabby growled. "That your son has been watching us and all our plans this whole time?!"

Figstorm widened his eyes. "Pebblepaw, calm down! You'll make a bad impression on our guest." He gestured to Ghostkit.

Pebblepaw turned to stare at her in surprise. Ghostkit stared at her paws in embarrassment. But really, she was scared, confused, and intrigued. Who were these cats? What was wrong with Blacksky watching them? And why was Beeflight talking to these cats?

"It's about time, Figstorm. We've only got so long till you-know-what." Pebblepaw snapped at Figstorm; she turned to Ghostkit. "Might as well tell you what were on about. And take our every word seriously. And don't tell anyone. You won't know who to trust, after this. C'mon, kit."

Ghostkit hesitated, then followed Pebblepaw through the forest. She gazed at the glow-worms crawling around, and looked up in amazement at the fireflies flying around. They seemed to be following the starling-coloured river. They soon emerged into a clearing full of cats, some with dim, see-through pelts like Figstorm and Pebblepaw, and some who looked like living cats. She perked up as she recognised some. Beeflight, Waterwish, Emberfang, Volestar, two she-cats she met when she and Leafpaw snuck out almost five moons ago, Sweetshine - and Snowfall.

"Beeflight? Waterwish? Snowfall? What are you two doing here?" Ghostkit mewed.

Snowfall smiled. "You'll soon find out. Don't worry, none of us are bad-willed... Most of us." She added, glancing at Pebblepaw.

"Anyway!" Pebblepaw meowed. "Ghostkit! Time to throw all your beliefs away like wolf-dung!"

Ghostkit blinked.

"StarClan isn't exactly as perfect as everyone says it is..." Pebblepaw began. "I mean, I understand why they sent me here, but some of us should've been in StarClan. Like my brother here. Oh, and a very special cat who was one of the first to realise this."