February  22nd 1750

George Washington was fast asleep and snoring like a little piggy, well, it was 5am.

He'd struggled to fall asleep the night before, out of sheer excitement - February 22nd was his birthday!

Yes, he knew that his birthdays were never any fun - his parents never gave him a break - but even so, he just felt like this was going to be a good birthday.

"MEOW!! MEOW!! MEEEEOOOOOW!!!"

George sat bolt upright, awoken by the sudden noise coming through his window.

"MEOW!!!"

George groaned, he was tired and grumpy about being woken up.

He lay back down, buried his head in the sheets, and tried to ignore it.

The cat wasn't having any of that.

"MEOW!!! MEOW!!! MEOW!!!"

George pushed the sheets further over his head, and wished the cat would just shut its gob.

"MEOW ME-"

George sat up again, confused by the sudden silence of the cat, he hoped it wasn't hurt, but knew there was nothing to be done if it was.

By this point, George was far too awake to go back to sleep, so he decided there was only one way to start off his birthday well.

He picked up his saxophone and headed towards the door, realised he was still in his night clothes, quickly dressed into his favourite outfit (which consisted of tight blue breeches, a frilly white shirt, a long flowey coat, and black buckled boots) and exited his room.

It was still dark outside, but George didn't mind, he liked the dark.

He creeped past his parents' room trying desperately not to make a sound.

"GEORGE!! WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING AT THIS TIME??"

George rolled his eyes, he was never going to catch a break.

"Nowhere," George replied miserably. "Sorry mama"

"Well, as you're up, you can get to work." She handed George a bucket and trowel.

"Please mama!" George begged. "I just wish I could have a little time off, it is my birthday after all!"

Mary narrowed her eyes... then, suddenly, they softened.

"Yes alright, I suppose a day off wouldn't hurt too much."

George was stunned, Mama never let him have days off, not even when he was sick.

"Thank you, mama!! Thank you!!"

Mary gave a curt nod and disappeared back into her room.

George was so gleeful, he skipped to the door, he knew the best place to play George's UwU Babygirl Machine without disturbing anyone.