༺ Chapter I ༻

Overwhelmed by anxiety and a blossoming need for cigarettes, Elena Vanguard frantically hurried outdoors, where she intends to purge all the nicotine from the hidden cigars left by her brother's, in the hopes of dissipating the disturbing thoughts with every exhalation of smoke.

The accumulated inactivity from her summers reignited her old vices, Elena knew she could not go on wasting her days in the disarray of her room, alcohol instead of water, lying on her bed with a haze of smoke, reading a 27-year-old print of her favorite novel, hoping to feel something. But no one was holding her back, it seemed that no one was particularly concerned.

Descending the stairwell, she followed the cobblestone path towards the riverside passageway. Her white silk robe reflected a harsh gleam of light into a viewpoint from the lake house canopy, her nurses eagerly observed from a distance, taken aback by her newfound energy.

Far from the world of constant scrutiny of being a pro tennis player, she found solace in the countryside. This was her sanctuary, a place where the remnants of her tumultuous career could not reach her. The scandals that had once splashed across headlines were now just distant memories, diluted by the time and the tranquillity of her surroundings during her stay. Perhaps it was the summer heat that rekindled these noises, that urged her to break free from inertia. However, the transition was not a comfortable retirement for Elena.

It is acknowledged that intense stress or traumatic experiences can push an individual toward a psychotic episode. The burdening weight of emotional turmoil can disrupt thoughts and perception, leading to a break from reality.

Elena's thoughts, like ghosts in the corners of her mind, whispered secrets and regrets It had come silently, insidiously, robbing her of the joy she found in her every game, the passion that once fueled her career, and followed beyond the lines of her personal life. The pressure to perform, to maintain the facade of the invincible champion, had become a weight too heavy to bear.

The Grand Slam trophies, once symbols of her triumphs, now seemed like relics of a past life where the roar of the crowd and the adrenaline of competition was the only life she could only think of. Now they stood like artifacts in the parlor room, covered in dust and particles, untouched, some already had their pieces broken and left forlorn on the ground.

It was disheartening for her, and self-directed anger consumed her. She despised herself for allowing things to reach this breaking point-where all her hard work lay in ruins, and she remained adrift, uncontrolled. However, unhealthy coping mechanisms can potentially worsen symptoms and exacerbate her condition. Withdrawing from others by extreme isolation, substance abuse, and neglecting self-care practices such as proper nutrition, exercise, and sleep made her condition worsen.

It's been 7 years now. Her peers already on their different courses in life, some married and had children of their own, and some were just like herself- worn out, in different hues of grey, as if their souls were drained by a lustful fiend.

Feeling slightly lightheaded by the thought, she decided it was the perfect time to read the letter from her hand, when her mind was adrift from its usual clarity. She threw the cigar and smothered its remains with her foot. The envelope produced a crisp sound when she tore it open, and all she could see were plenty of words in his messy handwriting.

— ʚ♡ɞ —

Elena Vanguard

Vanguard Manor, Rhodes Island

Dearest Elena,

I heard from your dad that you decided to take another summer at your grandfather's, that's why I wrote you a letter.

So, how have you been? Are you feeling okay lately? Usually, when you flee to your grandfather's something's usually up. I hope nothing terrible happened to you though, please keep in touch with me, I know you don't like using your electronics when you're in there, but at least let me know that you're doing fine.

Well if you're going to ask how things are going around here, nothing much really. Lily began her ballet classes and Tashi is doing well. You probably heard the big news, I'm taking a break from tennis. It's quite contradictory to the nothing-much-really-going-on-here intro, but I'm certain you had it coming. We thought that a reversion for a Challenger in New Rochelle would help me gain good points for the grand slams, but I didn't win, it was electrifying though. However, I promised that whatever the results may be, I would wholeheartedly retire, but maybe just a break would do. I want to spend more time with Lily, but there are some things that I need to fix before fully committing as a father.

My coach left me after that match and found herself a new client. So, it's just me.

Anyway, I'm just letting you know that I'll be visiting you for a fortnight and will be there on the 16th.

Art Donaldson
458 Waverly Avenue, Apt. 3B, New York, NY 10011

— ʚ♡ɞ —
end.