Chapter 2

Princess Marcaria Ellison sat in her private chambers, the pale morning light filtering through the heavy drapes. She reread the list of potential handmaids, meticulously checking each name, each family. A week had passed since she had sent out the notices, but not a single reply had returned. Her frustration was growing.

"Why is no one responding?" she muttered, setting the parchment aside.

A knock on the door interrupted her thoughts. Her maid, Elara, entered, her face flushed.

"Your Highness, Duke Killian Huxley has arrived unannounced. He requests an audience with you immediately."

Marcaria's heart skipped a beat. "Killian? Here? Now?"

"Yes, Your Highness. He is waiting in the grand hall."

Quickly, Marcaria adjusted her gown and composed herself. The Duke, her fiancé, had always been unpredictable, but this visit was entirely unexpected. She made her way to the grand hall, her mind racing with questions.

As she entered, Killian turned to face her, his eyes locking onto hers with an intensity that made her pause. He was as handsome as ever, with his dark hair falling carelessly over his forehead and his sharp blue eyes sparkling with mischief.

"Killian," she greeted him, keeping her voice steady. "What are you doing here?"

Killian took a step forward, a smirk playing on his lips. "Your Highness, how cruel of you. You didn't reply to any of my letters. That's why I had to come on my own."

Marcaria's brow furrowed in confusion. "I didn't get any letters. And if they would have reached me, I would have read them."

"Stop lying, darling," Killian said, his tone light but with an edge that cut through the room.

Anger flared up inside her, but she remembered the fairy's words. Kindness, she reminded herself. Be kind.

Taking a deep breath, she said, "Since you are here, let's go on a date."

Killian raised an eyebrow, clearly taken aback by her sudden change in demeanor. He hadn't expected this calm, almost inviting response. "Sure, my dear," he replied, curiosity lacing his voice.

Marcaria smiled. "Wait for me. I need to fetch my bag."

Duke Huxley grabbed her hand gently. "No need." His voice softened as he added, "Darling, let's go somewhere peaceful."

She tilted her head, curiosity piqued. "Where?"

Leaning closer, his breath warm on her ear, he whispered, "To a secret place."

Marcaria rolled her eyes, pushing back the tingle of excitement. "Where? Give me the details."

Killian sighed dramatically. "Oh, Princess. You're the best at ruining the mood."

She stood her ground. "Tell me where, or I'm not going."

With a reluctant smile, he said, "My old mansion."

Marcaria shook her head. "No. Let's go to a dessert shop. I hate those haunted mansions."

Killian's expression softened further, a hint of amusement in his eyes. "If you won't go there, how can you enjoy the date?"

Marcaria finally relented. "Fine. But let's go to the dessert shop later. Please....."

Duke Killian Huxley escorted Princess Marcaria to her carriage, the grand vehicle swaying and bouncing along the rugged path leading to his ancient mansion. As the wheels creaked and the horses snorted, the tall oaks and wild ivy seemed to close in, shrouding them in an almost mystical ambiance.

Upon arriving, Killian guided Marcaria through the grand but decayed entryway. The air was thick with the scent of old wood and musty stone. She glanced around, her delicate features wrinkling slightly at the sight of the dilapidated grandeur. "Duke, is this the place you wanted to show me?"

"Yes," he replied simply, leading her up the grand staircase. The steps groaned underfoot, their grandeur marred by the passage of time. At the top, they stood before a heavy oak door, its surface worn but still imposing. He pushed it open to reveal a balcony.

Marcaria gasped, stepping forward into the sunlight. Below, the golden rays of the sun spilled over the lake, transforming its surface into molten gold. Crimson and ivory roses pushed their way through the cracks in the stone balustrades, their colors vibrant against the weathered grey. "Killian, this is beautiful," she breathed, her voice filled with awe.

"Do you want to live here? I'm thinking of repairing it," he asked, although he already knew her answer. In his previous life, he had posed the same question, and she had declined.

"No. I don't want to live here," Marcaria replied, her tone gentle but firm.

Killian's heart sank, the reality of her unchanged nature settling over him like a shroud. But this time, he pressed further. "Why don't you want to live here?"

Marcaria looked at him, her eyes reflecting both her affection and her practicality. "I don't want to meet ghosts at night. Who knows how old this place is? But we can visit together anytime during the day."

Killian sighed inwardly but nodded. "Shall we visit the dessert shop?" he suggested, shifting the conversation to lighter matters.

"Yes. Let's go," she agreed, her smile returning.

At the dessert shop, Marcaria selected an assortment of pastries, gifting one box to Killian, another to her nanny, and keeping one for herself. "Killian, there is still time. Shall we go to the park?" she suggested, her eyes twinkling with the innocence of a cherished memory.

Killian hesitated. The park brought back memories of a strange encounter in his previous life. A man had appeared, seemingly from another world, and his arrival had set off a chain of events that had ultimately led to great loss. Marcaria's voice broke through his thoughts. "Killian, what are you thinking? Can we go to the park?"

"Honey, we'll go to the park next time. Today I have an important task to do," he said, trying to keep his voice steady.

"Okay," she replied, accepting his excuse with grace.

After escorting Marcaria back to her palace, Killian made his way to the park alone. The evening shadows stretched long and dark as he approached the familiar spot. His heart raced as he saw it: a glowing magic circle etched into the earth, pulsating with an eerie light.

What emerged from the circle was more shocking than he had anticipated. A young man stumbled out, disoriented and clad in strange, futuristic attire. Killian's breath caught in his throat. History was indeed repeating itself, but this time, he was determined to change its course.

The young man looked up, his eyes wide with confusion and fear. "Where am I?" he asked, his voice trembling.

Killian stepped forward, his expression a mix of resolve and empathy. "You are in Enchantian, and I am Duke Killian Huxley. I believe we have much to discuss."