Single chapter

"Aki... I have a suuuuuper-secret thing to tell you."

Akira chuckled softly, sighing as he shifted in bed to face his lifelong best friend. Kouyou lay next to him, completely drunk - as he would always get after their live concerts -, his voice slurred and a little more high-pitched than usual.

Sharing a bed at the hotel after a live performance was nothing new for them - it had become a routine since their first concert, more than two decades before. Kouyou had never felt comfortable sleeping alone outside of his own home, a habit he'd carried since childhood.

Akira knew that, and so he would keep him company whenever Kouyou needed.

Wrapped up to his neck, Kouyou clutched the edges of the thick blanket tightly, his nervousness almost palpable. At the same time, his eyes sparkled with a blend of excitement and playfulness, just like a mischievous child on the brink of doing something naughty.

Akira, squinting in the dim room, could just make out Kouyou's beautiful face, illuminated by the faint light seeping through the curtains.

Absolutely adorable.

"What is it, Shima?" Akira asked, pulling one arm out from under the blanket and affectionately ruffling Kouyou's blonde hair.

Kouyou tugged the blanket even higher, now cocooning his mouth and nose, leaving only his enigmatic and reluctant eyes visible.

"I can't stop thinking about it," Kouyou whispered, his voice muffled by the thick blankets. "I think about it all the time."

Akira arched an eyebrow, a mix of pure curiosity and concern etching his features.

Kouyou's behavior was somewhat weirder than usual.

"Thinking about what?" Akira asked softly, his fingers still caressing Kouyou's just-washed hair. "What's the problem, Kou?"

Kouyou drew a deep breath, exhaling once, twice, three times. His gaze wandered from the wall behind Akira to the ceiling, then down to his own hands clung to the blanket, knuckles almost white.

Meanwhile, his still-drunk, foggy brain allowed no filter between his thoughts and his words.

He halted the restless movement of his eyes and tense fingers, taking one last breath before locking eyes with Akira.

"I don't want to be dramatic, you know."

Akira chuckled. Just when he thought Kouyou might actually say something... God.

"Kou," Akira began, sliding his other hand - still under the blanket - around Kouyou's waist. He lightly squeezed the warm, bare skin, encouraging him to continue, only to feel Kouyou's body slightly shiver under his touch.

Hmm. That was strange. Definitely an unexpected physical reaction. Anyways, "I can tell you right now that you are both physically and mentally incapable of not being dramatic, so continue."

Kouyou blinked repeatedly, as if he'd momentarily left reality and returned upon hearing Akira's playful tone.

Yes, Kouyou would always transform into a pure drama queen when he drank too much.

"W-why are you touching me like this?"

Bingo.

"We always touch like this."

"Not like this. You're making me shiver," Kouyou complained, pouting and shrinking into the bed but not really moving away from Akira's touch. "Stop it already."

"Okay, okay," Akira said, his laughter softening as he watched Kouyou's reaction. The blonde looked absolutely lovely when he pouted like that. Akira couldn't help but let a warm smile grace his lips as he - against his will - removed his hand from Kouyou's waist.