Chasing Cars

"We don't need... anything.... or anyone... if I lay here.... if I just lay here.... would you lie with me and just forget the world...."  Toms' warm baritone voice drifted softly over her like a silken veil.  She smiled and stroked his naked chest. The feeling of his skin and muscles under her fingers, warm and reassuring.

"If only we could." she whispered back, not moving an inch in case it broke the spell. "If only we could just lie here and forget the world." 

Tom's hand moved from behind his head and came to rest on her back, drawing lazy circles on her spine.  It was the single most erotic thing she had ever felt.  Even after their passion of the previous few hours....

Luke had drunk his tea agonisingly - and they were sure deliberately - slowly.  He'd been chatty and up beat and completely on Team Jennie. But they hated him.  With a passion. Why? Because he was a devil in friends' clothing. He knew, he HAD to after the display in the hall, they wanted to be in each other's arms, in Tom's bed. But did he drink up and push off like a decent buddy would? Oh no.  He had to be charming.  Engaging. Interested in hearing all about their plans for the defence of Ms Gardiner.  He had to be the best friend anyone could ever wish.  And he HAD to be a devil.  The glint in his eye, as he watched them try not self-combust every time they looked at each other, spoke volumes.  

Luke, for his part, was overjoyed.  For Jennie, of course, she would get the very best of help to clear her name.  But also for Tom.  He was, quite simply, a gonner.  Hearts all over the world were breaking tonight.  Tom Hiddleston was officially off the market.  Permanently as far as Luke could tell.  Being his best friend through thick and thin, Luke decided he deserved a little, kindly meant, mileage.  

Eventually though, he relented.  Time to let the Lovebirds be just that.  Loving.  Alone. Dear God, he would gatecrash the opening of an envelope if he had to, but this?  Oh no, some things were sacrosanct.  He stood and made a show of looking at his watch. "Oh my is THAT the time? I should be going, it's BED time I think!" he grinned at them and watched them turn fifty shades of pink. "I think we all need to go to BED, don't you?" he winked at Tom and Jennie snorted into her cup as she drank the last of her tea.

Tom stood and walked him to the front door.  "Thanks buddy." he said, drawing him into a warm hug. "I owe you everything." he pulled back and, blushing, looked at his friend.  Head to one side, he squinted. "Do you think I could have tomorrow off boss?"

Luke frowned, his eyes glittering. "And WHY would you ask that? Got something more important to be doing?" his mouth turned up at one corner in an evil smile.

"Oh... mayyyyybe?  Mayyyyybe I have someone other than you that I want to spend time with?  Of course, if you want to join us..." he grinned and Luke grabbed the door handle to leave.

"No. Absolutely not! No way do I want to be in a thruple with you two. God no! Ewww!" he laughed loudly, sharing in the moment.  Tom slapped him on the back.

"Glad to hear it buddy. But seriously, I'm going to take a few days off, just be with her.  Let her have someone and somewhere to rely on.  I think it's about to get worse before it gets better eh?"

Luke nodded.  "Sadly I think you're right.  No worries Tom, take the time you - and she - need. I can deflect the interviews for a week or so.  The old "family issues" chestnut should do the trick.  Phone me in a couple of days, let me know how things are.  If there's anything either of you needs, just let me know." he paused as he crossed the threshold and looked into the street. So far, so good.  "She's worth it Tom, even I can tell that.  Let her understand that too. I think self confidence is something she's going to need by the bucket load." 

With that, he trotted down the steps into the street and walked away.  As he did so, Tom could hear Luke's phone ring and turned away, sighing.  That was just the beginning....