gaya

This story is based on a novel I've been working on since way way back. I'm procrastinating writing it as usual when our instructor asked us to create a short story, so I based my school work on the premise of my novel. What you'll read is exactly what I submitted, except for a few, minor revisions. Thus, it's not really hardcore, contrary to what I warned you in the previous chapter. I will eventually publish the novel version containing major revisions 'cause I made this short story in haste (to reach the deadline). It got the "thought" or the main idea of the plot, but I'm not satisfied with the flow, depth, and many other factors.

Obviously, Gaya is a reference to how Gaia is pronounced. Gaia is 'Mother Earth' and the goddess of nature from the Greek mythology.

✎﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Tellus is the only remaining vegetation in and exception to the darkness of Terra—a “gloomy” nation roofed in thick, dark clouds all day and year round because of the lack of oxygen from environmental abuse. With its advancing civilization and technology, all forests but one were already wiped out and used for various purposes that mankind needed to flourish. Breathing is not as easy as it was before, and more people are starting to migrate outside the country.

Under the spring sun and beyond the lush greens of this sole withstanding rainforest, a mesmerizing tunes echoes.

Beside the glistening lake inside Tellus is a boy playing his flute. Unbeknownst to him, a girl who was previously on deep slumber under the willow drapes was awakened by his song. Enthralled, the girl named Gaya followed the sound. Her heartbeat resonating with each rhythm. Her emerald eyes glowing, and her lips attempting to imitate the melody. Her steps leaving a trail of bloomed flowers.

“Fate...”

Finally setting foot in the midst of the forest, Gaya found an entity possessing the richest hue of earth in his eyes, sat atop of a boulder. She slowly approached the boy with her gaze full of affection and curiosity.

“Greetings!”

The boy, surprised by the sudden sound, failed to blow the next note properly resulting in an unpleasant tune.

“Dear heavens!” Letting out a shriek, the boy turned his head to the direction of the voice.

“W-what is a precious lady doing in this wilderness? I’m not disturbing your leisure, am I?” He asked, stuttering while staring hard at the beauty he has never seen before.

“No, sire. I’m afraid I’m the one disturbing you. Actually, I heard a sound. Followed it and found you. It was beautiful—"

“Thank you,” the boy, still flustered, replied quicker than his mind can process. His blush turning into a more intense shade of red due to embarrassment.

“—so I followed it here. Would you mind if I stay and listen to you for more?”

“I-it is my pleasure to entertain a beautiful lady.”

“Oh my, thank you! If it’s not rude to the gentleman, can I ask what your name is?”

“I’m Ethan, my lady.”

“Good day to you, sir Ethan. I’m Gaya.”

With that, Ethan continued to play with a bright blush across his face, while Gaya watched admiringly. The interaction between the two went on for hours, and ended with a promise to see each other again the next day.

-

Eventually, starting that fateful day, Gaya and Ethan would meet at the lake every morning. He would play his flute, while she would listen and hum. Afterwards, they would talk for hours. For months, it was the same routine until trust and love bloomed between the two.