VIII

It's better to seize the day than pick the perfect one.

It was she who suggested eating hot pot, yet she's also the one who's distracted.

Lisa quickly finished the rice in her bowl: "I'm full, going out for a bit."

Lucy stood up, her voice filled with sorrow as she called her name: "Lisa, please just stay home for now. You've made us worry."

Lisa turned back to look at them; the electric hot pot on the stove was still bubbling and steaming, and the aroma was wafting through the air.

The freshly washed vegetables lay on the plate, still dripping with water.

Everything was so beautiful and serene.

Jennie should be sitting here too, enjoying this warmth.

But she's gone now, never again to taste the hot pot she loved so much.

Lisa shook her head: "Mom, I'm sorry, I can't do it. I can promise you I won't harm myself and that I'll live well, but to be indifferent, to act as if nothing happened, I'm sorry, I just can't do it."

After Lisa left, Lucy stared at the closed door for a long time, until Rose picked up a pair of chopsticks and put some blanched greens into her bowl.

"Mom, let her go. What else can we do? There's always something to look forward to in life."

Lily bit on her chopsticks. Although she couldn't understand what they were saying, seeing her mother add vegetables to her grandmother's bowl and her grandmother crying, she too shared a piece of the meat from her bowl with her grandmother.

She was still not much of a talker, but this sweet gesture was enough to turn Lucy's tears into laughter.

"Good child, eat up. There's still so much food. Rose, you eat too."

"Alright, Mom. Try this."

***

Crazy Horse Nightclub

Hidden in the bustling city is a two-story antique building with green tiles and flying eaves, magnificent and splendid.

The walls are adorned with colorful lights and neon, almost brightening the entire street.

The signboard, carved out of pear wood, hangs high at the front of the building.

A few well-dressed, slick young men stand at the door; their faces powdered and hair slicked back.

They spring forward to open the car doors as vehicles approach, bending slightly at the waist as they welcome guests inside.

Lisa stands across the road, finishing a cigarette.

After stubbing out the butt, she walks toward the club.

Just as expected, someone stopped her.

"Hello, miss, please present your membership card," said the well-dressed young man with a touch of aloofness.

Lisa responded, "Do you need a membership card just to listen to music?"

"Yes, our club operates on a membership basis; you must have a card to enter."

It seems Roger was right; this place only caters to regulars.

Lisa looked up at the glittering sign and asked, "How much to get in?"

The young man sized her up, noting her plain appearance and lack of expensive jewelry. Even her messy hair, casually worn jacket, and undone bootlaces screamed "down and out."