II

I found myself floating in the depths of the water, so dark that I couldn't see my own hands when I reached out.

Someone appeared from the darkness and swam towards me, gently lifting my body.

My fingers sank into her soft hair, grasping at nothing.

"Who are you?" I felt an inkling of fear.

The woman turned to me and murmured, "My name is Jennie."

Jennie, Nini...

I contemplated this name, and then my eyes calmed: my love.

I eagerly grasped her arm and kept babbling: "Nini, I bought a ring. Can I give it to you now? Also, I've found a great apartment in the city. If you like it, I'll pay the deposit. And let's adopt a child, someone sweet and smart like Lily, well-behaved and obedient."

Whatever I said, she just smiled and slowly pulled me up as we swam.

The sunlight broke through.

Jennie let go of my hand and said, "Lisa."

"Hmm?"

She pulled my collar, drew me close, and kissed my forehead.

Tears streamed down her cheeks as she spoke.

"I'm leaving; goodbye."

I wasn't expecting that. "Where are you going? Weren't you coming for me?"

As I spoke, Jennie's body had plunged into a dazzling white light, becoming increasingly transparent.

"Jennie?!" I shouted out in terror, reaching out to grasp but finding only emptiness and staggering forward.

===========