Chapter 14

Kim's pov:

I looked behind me when I heard Vegas come up to us.

"I still hate you." Khun huffed dramatically.

I couldn't help but scoff at that.

He obviously doesn't mean it anymore.

But Vegas didn't laugh. Instead, his gaze was lowered.

"I didn't do it."

Khun and I both frowned at that.

"What?"

"Nanny... I didn't kill her. It was Pa who shot her." He mumbled softly.

What?

My mind went back to that incident all those years ago.

I was 6, he and Kinn were 8, and Khun was 12.

We had gone over to play with him since we used to be close back then.

We had walked into the living room to see him holding a blazing gun in his hand and his nanny on the floor with a bullet hole in her head.

That was when we distanced ourselves from him. When Khun and Kinn truly started hating him.

I always thought it was odd.

He had loved her. We all had.

There was no reason for him to kill her out of the blue.

But I couldn't talk to him since everyone stopped me. And as we grew, I started planning on getting out of there so I forgot about that.

"You were holding the gun." Khun spoke flatly.

"He put the gun in my hand and pulled the trigger. I wouldn't have been able to handle the recoil and definitely missed it if I had shot her myself." Vegas clutched at the tank top tightly as he muttered in a small voice.

That's true. How could an 8 year old handle recoil from a gun without missing like that?

"Why did he kill her?" Khun.

"Because he said I was too soft. Too weak. She was making me soft. He wanted to toughen me up by getting rid of her." He answered.

"What about the other servants that died shortly after?" Khun.

"Same thing. He got rid of all the ones that were kind to me. And the ones I was close to." He replied.

"Why didn't you tell us all these years?" Khun.

"I tried. You didn't want to listen. And Pa threatened to hurt you if I kept trying." Tears started streaming down his face and his voice shook.

I gulped the lump that formed in my throat.

I remember now.

When he would try and approach us, begging us to listen.

But the guards would take him away.

And then one day, he stopped trying. That was when the devil started being created.

Carved out of an 8 year old child's despair.

Now his words make sense.

"I don't want another innocent life to be lost because of me. There have already been too many of those."

Those servants and his nanny were the innocent lives he was talking about.

He's been blaming himself for their deaths for all these years.

We looked toward the door when we heard footsteps.

Kinn and Porsche were standing at the entrance.

Kinn looked really guilty at this point while Porsche looked disturbed.