Chapter 2

A few days later, it was the first day of school. Jade's parents had enrolled her at Mystic Falls High School. She was going into school early so she could get her schedule from the administration office, talk to her teachers, and talk to the swim coach. She had started swimming while she was away and had wanted to join the swim team at Mystic Falls. Jade was finishing getting ready for school and headed downstairs.

She had filled Kingsley's food and water bowls and was getting her breakfast when her parents had walked in the kitchen

"Jade, before you leave, there are some things your father and I want to discuss with you." Carol said.

Jade looked at them, knowing what this was going to be about.

"There will not any repeats of what your behavior was before that boarding school. We ask you anything about where you're going, what you're doing, and with whom, and you are to answer us honestly." Her father, Richard, explained. "Is that clear, young lady?"

"Yes, sir." Jade said.

She knew that most of this was mainly coming from her father. Jade used to have a great relationship with her father when she was younger. Better than the one he had with Tyler. But, all that changed when she started acting out. Her father was quite harsh with her now.

"We just want to earn your trust back." Carol added.

"I know." Jade said. "I'm going to let Kingsley out and head to school early."

Her parents nodded.

At school, other students had started to arrive. And some of them had taken notice of Jade. They were staring and whispering about her.

"Is that Jade Lockwood?" Someone said. "I thought her parents sent her away to boarding school."

"I didn't know she was coming back." Another person said.

Jade expected this. She was the Mayor's daughter and everyone knew why they sent her. She just ignored everyone.

As she walked to class, she saw Caroline, Bonnie, and Elena. They noticed her and walked away with speaking a word to her. They weren't happy with her when she stopped hanging out with them for older girls.

While she was gone, Tyler had kept in touch with her and had told her that Elena had been in an accident last spring and her parents had died. Jade would have said something, but it didn't look like Elena wanted to hear what she had to say. Jade just walked to class.

During lunch, Jade sat down at an empty table. Her brother and Matt Donovan sat down next to her.

"Ty, you don't have to sit with me just because I don't have anyone else to sit with." Jade said.

"I don't mind." Ty said. "Why aren't you sitting with your friends?"

"I ruined my friendship with them long ago." Jade said, looking over at her old friend's somberly. She turned to Matt. "Hi Matty." She said.

"Hey Jade." Matt greeted. "How was your other school?"

"It was good." Jade replied.

Growing up, Jade had had a crush on Matt, but he was into Elena. She continued to eat lunch with her brother and Matt.

After school ended, she tried out for the swim team and made it.