Sub-Chapter 1: Last Seen Online

Birmingham, England.

At that time, William was still on his senior school year. He had a girlfriend that time, her name was Ran.

One time in summer of 2019, William and Ran went to a nearby cafe for their third date.

"How are you enjoying senior year so far?" Ran asked William, her mouth was full of waffle.

William adjusted his glasses. "I like it."

"Because of me?"

William laughed at her joke. "And the courses are interesting, too."

Ran laughed. "Sure. I believe you."

William smiled. "Are you still in the cheerleader group?"

"Of course. They couldn't afford getting a new one." Ran bursted out laughing.

William shook his head, munching on his pancake.

"Oh yeah, Will. Can I talk to you about something personal?" Ran suddenly asked again, her face turned serious.

"What's up?"

"Why did you decide to date me?" Ran looked at William in his eyes.

William gulped, lowering his fork, preparing his answer.

"Because you're pretty, and you show kindness to me unlike any other. I always feel warm and comfortable when you're around." He finally spoke. "At least, I found a woman that can be trusted other than my own mother and sister."

"Do you have trauma?" Ran asked.

"Not really. I just never trusted them entirely."

Hearing that, Ran began to sympathize. "I shouldn't have asked, Willy. I'm sorry."

"It's okay." William shook his head, smiling slightly. "But now, I have the same question. Why did you date me of all boys in school?"

"Because I like your character more than any other boys. You look and you sound older than you actually are. Like a real adult. Especially when you become a senior hall monitor."

William blushed. "Really?"

Ran nodded. "You know, as a popular girl in school, every boys—and sometimes girls—would try everything to be my love partner. They look at me, as if I'm a goddess and not an ordinary girl. But you, Willy, you're different. You don't care how popular I am, and instead treat me like how you treat 'normal' students."

William nodded. "I never judged you for being so pretty, I never talked about it. Not even when we made a slight eye contact."

"You're not blushing at all?"

"No."

"Why?"

"I don't know. I guess at that time I didn't really understand my feelings."

Ran smiled. "Well, that's what makes you unique, no?"

William nodded. "I guess."

They both laughed. William didn't know that something would happen to Ran later that same night.

***

"Bye, Ran."

"Bye, Willy."

William waved his hands goodbye to Ran, before driving home.

"Time to continue my research." William said.

When he arrived at his house, he quickly put down his backpack to resume his experiment.