Ch.1 | I am the Exception,

I am the exception.

I'm not even joking, I was told so by god.

It all happened a few hours ago when I was waiting for my afterlife... or waiting in line... Then again, I suppose it happened a little before that. 

My death was quite random. I was walking past a flower store and randomly collapsed. I found myself in here, in a line filled with ghosts in a line toward a bright light. The line was straight and administrated by tall ghosts who had writing tablets in their hands. I was expecting something less modern, but I guess with so many dead people they had to keep track somehow and digital lists were probably easier to work with than paper ones...

I was just a little disappointed since I expected something like magic or something... well whatever. The administrator ghosts were red and had a more proper form. We, the dead ghosts were like cartoonish ghosts that looked like a piece of cloth had been put over our heads.  

There were ghosts in front and behind me. Every time a new ghost appeared they began to cry -- a few didn't, I assumed those were people who knew they were going to die soon... or people who were content with their deaths... still, that was an incredibly small number of people.

"I'm glad you stopped whining, it was embarrassing to watch" One of the ghosts in front of me chuckled. The first few hours of my death were me whining and crying about my death.

"Shut it! I was in my right to cry! I died out of nowhere!" I spat back, who the hell was the guy in front of me anyway? Did he not cry when he died? 

"Yeah yeah, keep complaining. It doesn't make you look any less of a crybaby." Continuing the conversation would do nothing more than annoy me, so I stopped and just stood in line. The ghost in front of me was a shade of gray.  Now that I looked closer, I could notice that different ghosts had different shades as their cloth. Was that the color of their soul? I looked down at my hands and noticed an incredibly grey color. It was the perfect in-between.

I suppose that meant there was nothing interesting about me if it truly was the color of my soul. Did that mean I was as good as I was bad? Man, I hoped gray was enough to get into a good afterlife... going to hell or some variation of it did not sound great. 

"Bring him here!" One of the administrators yelled at the side of the line. I saw a blur of red come my way and grab my small fingerless hands. 

"Huh?" I looked up and saw two red ghosts lift me up and begin walking away from the line. "No no no! Wait wait wait! Where are you taking me?!" I tried kicking my legs in resistance, but it was just not quite working... as expected since I had none, I had been floating this entire time. 

"The big boss wants to talk to you." The administrator kept walking, simply skipping all of the ghosts in line. There must've been hundreds of them... maybe thousands. 

"Holy shit! He's cooked!" I heard some of the ghosts say as I passed by. 

"Good luck man!"

"Damn, he's going even though he's gray? Bad luck."

"Cheer up! Hell's probably not that bad!" The ghost who had the nerve to yell that was a void of darkness. 

"Shut the fuck up! You're just saying that cuz you're going to hell!" I yelled as I passed two large pearly gates. They began to close slowly as I passed through. 

"The daily hearing has ended. It will continue in one hour!"

"What, because I'm black?" The ghost spat back, "I have so much power in the afterlife it's crazy! I can finally say it without anyone looking at me weird! I can finally say --" The doors closed before I could hear whatever he was trying to say -- I could guess though.