Chapter 31 - Phoebe | Keira

A sudden blast of fire shot towards them. Phoebe couldn't blink as fast as Freya had built up a wall out of water, separating them from the inferno. The transparent liquid moved to the top of the pillar, extended and splashed down five seconds later.

"Leave!" Freya screamed out her lungs and pushed Phoebe behind the next pillar. Her back hit the cement harshly, her bones cracked a bit. Again, the fire appeared in front of her eyes, now even more tremendous and intimidating.

Freya raised her hands in record speed. The water followed, acting like an immense tornado around them. Slowly, the fire got extinguished, leaving a trail of ash and devastation. Phoebe peeked around the corner where her friend stood.

In front of Freya stood a young lady with morbid expressions and a creepy smile. Her face was still covered with a black mask but not even Phoebe could mistake her triumphant grin. It disgusted her.

Erica shook her hands twice and tilted her head. In the next moment, the fire was again present, now dancing behind her like magic shadows. Phoebe stumbled back, her breath rattling.

"Phoebe. Leave!"

She turned around and ran. She ran like a pathetic pansy; like a loser.

She hated herself.

First, she had been a heavy burden for Joanne.

Then she had left Freya during their training fight.

Now, she was running away. Again.

Running away. That's what she was doing right now. She stopped and entered a restaurant. As fast as she could, Phoebe looked for the toilets. It was probably the safest spot here at the Times Square.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck!" Phoebe swore and scrolled through her contacts. She could literally hear her heart beating inside her chest, pumping all the blood thrice as fast.

She quickly found the name she usually avoided the most.

'Calling Alice Yoo' Her screen lightened up as soon as she pressed her name. The constant beeping filled the small toilet.

Ten seconds passed.

"God, please," she begged.

Another minute.

She hung up and called Keira. It was the same fate.

With her last remaining energy, she searched for Joanne. Her eyes had already become watery, her hope had left the game after Alice's failed call. Now, only Joanne could help her out of that disaster.

The name popped up on the screen, underneath the seven buttons.

'Calling Joanne...'

She buried her face in her hands. Freya was fighting outside, doing her best to stay alive.

'Calling Joanne...'

If Erica gains the dominance over the fight, she will burn her to death. Or drown her. Or strangle her.

'Calling Joanne...'

And Phoebe did nothing to safe her. What was with Anita? Was she there too and helping her sister to end Freya's life.

'Calling Joanne...'

Hot tears ran down her cheeks. Her phone slipped through her fingers and landed on the floor; the call ended with a short message of the voicemail. Then, everything went silent.

Her unregular breath transformed into loud sobs, followed by a heavy cry-attack. She ruffled through her hair, pressed her hand against her mouth - but everything made it worse. The saliva dripped into her lap, mixing up with her tears.