☾ Chapter 4 ☽

Dahlia's eyebrows raise in surprise. "Celeste Nobilis?" She chuckles. "Damn, I should've known, you look expensive."

You laugh a little, waving off her comment to avoid any unwarranted questions about your family or background. "What about you? Where're you both from?"

"Dahlia and I are both from Bridgette," Collette piped up.

Your suspicions were confirmed about them being very wealthy. Bridgette was definitely one of the more well-known upper high class towns. 

After a few more minutes of chatting, Dahlia spoke up. " (Y/N), Collette and I are going to get some more drinks. You coming?"

"I'll join you guys in a little, I'm just going to get some air," you lie.

"Alright, we'll be by the south bar."

After Dahlia and Collette left, you honed your senses. As much as meeting nice people in this room full of snobs was great, you had a mission to do. Being tasked with such an important operation put a lot of pressure on your shoulders, and you couldn't mess this up. They were counting on you.

You tried to focus on your surroundings, but the sheer amount of people was making you feel sick to your stomach. The room felt stuffy and crowded, and you'd rather be anywhere else.

I might actually have to go get air.

You exhale deeply, then shuffle your way through the crowd. The scent of expensive colognes and perfumes invaded your senses as you attempt to shift past the many large, trailing dresses.

You finally find yourself on the large, terrace-like balcony. A fountain is set in the middle, flowing and creating a calm ambience. You sigh, finally being able to get a moment of peace to clear your head and moving to the intricately designed railings to get a better view of the sky.

The moon glistens above, blanketing the terrace in shining moonlight. Down below, birds splash about in one of the many scintillating ponds. The sound of their chirping echoed eerily through the night. 

Stars shone brightly in the sky, accompanying the glimmering moon. A soft breeze ruffles your hair as you close your eyes.

It was the most at peace you'd felt in a while.

Suddenly, your eyes snap open as that peace was disturbed. Your senses tingled, fingertips on fire as they reach for the gun on the leg holster under your dress. There was a strong presence behind you.

Your hands clutched the gun tightly, knuckles whitening as you curse yourself for letting your guard down in a place like this. Someone was here, and you didn't have a good feeling about it.

"And what's a pretty lady like you doing with a gun?"

Definitely a threat.

You whip your head around, dress swishing around with you, prepared to raise the gun to eye level. But something stopped you cold in your tracks.

You stare at the young man in front of you. He was wearing a black suit and black tie with gold and red accents, a rose neatly placed in his right pocket. His hair was well kept and a deep purple color, the edges cut straight. At first glance, he was quite handsome.

You immediately assessed him as someone who was high class. Or perhaps pretending to be.

But what caught your attention the most were his eyes, a dazzling violet with the same piercing intensity as the ones you saw that night.

...It's him, isn't it?

Gunnar was right about the whole high-class ball. A.C.E knew exactly how to catch the attention of the Balladeer. They brought him right to you on a platter.

The young man raises his champagne glass with a smirk, eyes shining mischievously.

"I'm Scaramouche, and you are?"