*Chapter 1*

Lost & Found (TBP)

Chapter 1

**Mayleigh's POV**

I sit in my room just staring at the wall.

Most people wouldn't get bored in my room, I have everything you could possibly want. My room is gigantic, big enough where I can have my walk in closet, and two sets of bunk beds. I don't know why I have two sets, my parents just bought them then expected my friends to sleep over all the time.

You see my parents are rich. I'm not saying it as a way to brag, they literally are rich. My dad's a doctor and my mom's a judge, so because of all the money they earned I can have whatever I want.

But the thing is, I don't want any of the stuff I get. I don't need two bunk beds, I don't need a flat screen tv, I don't need the most expensive clothes and technology. I'm only thirteen! I don't need any of this stuff, yet I get it anyway.

The one thing they've given me that I've actually wanted was my guitar. I've played since I was 10, taught myself.

My twin brothers don't seem to mind the cash, they just take and take, wanting everything new, they're practically the exact opposite of me in every way possible.

I've tried talking to my mom about how I feel but she just starts screaming at me, 'Why don't you appreciate what we do for you? We've given you everything! But it's never enough for you!'

I don't feel like I fit in with my family at all. My dad is never home half the time, because he's away on business trips, My mom yells at me, saying I'm a brat because she can never please me, and my little brothers just leave me alone, playing with everything they get. I don't want any of the things I get. I don't belong here, not at all. Of course, it wasn't always this way. My older brother Connor always used to make me feel like I did. Connor and I were thick as thieves as kids, he was my best friend. Though, this all changed when a few years ago he moved to Nashville for college. Now he's got some job at a big label down there and he never calls.

I've never really fit in after that, which was clear to everyone. Every time friends of my mom came over I could always hear them talking about how I don't look anything like her, or anyone in the family to be keen. I have simple wavy out of control hair while she has elegant curls streaming down her back.

Now don't get me wrong, as much as I feel like an outcast in my family, I'm thankful for everything. They may not have been the best parents but they have given me food and shelter.

"MAYLEIGH LYNN MARTIN GET YOUR BOTTOM DOWN STAIRS!" My mom screams.

Whoops, better go.

I bounce down the marble staircase, "you called?"

"Your father called and said he'll be home in ten minutes and then we are leaving for the banquet, so be ready!"

"Okay," I say, rushing back up the stairs.

Oh yes the mighty banquet, the one my mother has been ranting on about for the past month, the one that was suppose to have celebrities. I roll my eyes at the thought of being stuck in a building with my dad's coworkers for a couple hours.

I walk into my closet, finding the pale blue dress we had picked out a month ago. I slip it on. Then reach for the black belt, strapping it around my waist. I walk into the bathroom, messing around with my hair a bit to get it to lay right. I dab a bit on lipgloss on my lips, and curl my eyelashes. I adjust my necklace before slipping on my shoes and rushing down stairs.

"It took you long enough," mom grumbles. I roll my eyes. "And I thought I told you to put on something nice! Why are you still wearing that ratty necklace?"

I pick up the locket delicately, running my fingers over the engraving on the back. I don't even have to look to read the words, I already know it says Mayleigh in an elegant scrawl. I click the button on the side, trying yet again to see if it will open. Nothing happens for the millionth time, and I wish for the millionth time that I had the key that unlocked it.

"Lets go!" She calls. "BOYS WE'RE LEAVING!"

Kyle and Andrew come bounding down the stairs, running out the door. Mom smiles at them adoringly before following them to the car. I cringe in advance for the terrible night I'm sure that lies ahead before I follow them.