Chapter Two

From there and so forth she did as told. But this time, the man from many many months ago was finally back at the counter. A slight smirk that quickly faded arose and left. She stared at him silently with the list in her hand. She looked around for the usual women to come and give her all the stuff but she wasn't there. "I'm sorry... is Cindy here?" Faye asked the man. "I have to— pick up an order."

    "For who?" the man asked.

    "For Lee's cafe." The man had both hands on the counter in a prepared and ready position. "It's down the street over there at sunrise. If the order isn't here I can just... get all of it." Her words began to lose themselves as he looked around at the back counter. Bending his back and reading notes that were written on paper.

    "Hmm. She never told me anything about the order. I didn't even know we did those things. Alright well–" he looked her up and down and noticed the list she carried. "I can get these things for you. Sorry about that." He said calmly. He got out of the counter and that's when she noticed his height. He had to be around 6 foot three. He towered over the aisles and her. She quite liked it since she never really felt small before. She was 5'7, and close to hitting 5'8. So meeting someone taller than her felt oddly satisfying. He walked with an odd skimp. His hips didn't move side to side but rather frontward and backward. His hands didn't seem to fidget except for his thumb which hit his index finger. He looked around the entire store while she carried the basket. He read the list very carefully.

    "Mhm, what kind of brand do you want for these eggs?"

    "B-brand?"

    "Yeah. Like– Free-range chickens? Vegan-fed chickens? You know? Brand?"

    "Mhm yeah, we usually get a blue kind– a painted top. It's blue and has a large green stripe on the side. I don't know what it's called. I can't— I don't remember the 'brand'." Faye looked away while he continued to stare at the many different kinds of eggs. He nodded his head while she spoke slowly. He grabbed the ones that fit the description.

    "Yeah... these?"

    "Those are fine."

    "Are they fine? Are they the right ones?" Faye slightly smiled and turned her eyes to the eggs and then to him. His serious eyes and glare seemed to frighten her but she nodded her head nervously.

    "Those are the right ones." he nodded his head then went to the register. She stared at him while he scanned the food and other goods. He had a tattoo and probably more that she couldn't see. A large one in between the loose skin of his index finger and his thumb. It was something pointy-looking, she thought to herself. Faye stared at it for a little while longer until the sound of a long and awkward beep came to play. The man stared at her attraction to the tattoo and then distracted himself and looked out the window. He waited till she'd stop and eventually she did. She looked at the price and nodded her head. She didn't expect this to be out of her pocket. Faye had a strong gut feeling that told her Lee would pay her back. But she already felt so disconnected from the store. She was just the person that served people and got some groceries. Except tonight she was closing all by herself for the first time.

    She looked at the price again, forty-five dollars. She nodded her head and got out her droopy and drippy wallet. She counted the coins she had left and the two twenty-dollar bills. Faye  looked at them and then at the price. She had three one-dollar bills and sixty-five cents. "O-oh gosh." She said with a nervous and silver tone.

    "You short?"

    "Yes... I'm so sorry. Let me run to the store very quickly and get some–"

    "It's fine. I'll pay the rest. Ain't that much anyways." In the first few sentences, she made up a southern accent for him. It was southern and she, for some reason, knew what kind of southern state it was from. A Texan southern accent. He seemed like the kind of guy to wear large and round hats. Faye then looked at his outfit. Faye separated his body from these fabrics and clothes and put them on an old woman. They fit, and they go well together.