Four

Saturday, before my date with Lucy, was spent lounging around the packhouse. Dallas and a couple of others had asked if I wanted to come over for a few hours before the date but I declined. My stomach had been in knots all day, filled with an anxious feeling for tonight. Asking Lucy out shouldn't feel this draining, my mind has been going over every possibility for the events that can happen tonight. I'm exhausted by the time 6:00 pm rolls around, rubbing my face between my hands. I sigh, the unsettling feeling in my stomach not going away. Lucy was in my dreams, my most recent one involved her and I at this dinner. There was a quick snapshot of us, Lucy had been taking a piece of chocolate cheesecake before it faded out. She has to be the one. There's no other explanation why she's in my dreams.

My father had found me in the morning, asking to speak with me. Here we go I guess.

"Hunter, the council and I have come to a decision for the little prank you pulled the other day" No lollygagging for father. Straight to the point, warm pleasantries aren't really his thing.

"Father, I'm happy to accept any decision the council has given me" I answered in a monotone. Easier to agree to whatever it was than to argue with him. Arguing ended up in lectures for hours about how important it is to be a role model and how acting like a child would set bad examples. Anyone would think I was next in line to take his position.

"Good. I am happy you are willing to accept this without any hassles. The council have decided to bring forward your mating ceremony to Lucy. We believe the bond will help ground you, and that she'll be able to help these childish outlets you seem to have." He declared. My heart stopped for a beat, realizing the weight of his words. My brain could barely process what was happening, what will be happening sooner than I intended.

"We have decided the Winter Solstice will be the perfect time. It will provide us with the opportunity to organize a grand celebration for all the pack to enjoy." He continued, unaware of just how much this news has shattered me. Father dismissed me and mentioned he had other pack business to attend to but he would be informing Lucy and her folks. I vaguely remember nodding, my thoughts so far away with the decision that was made.

Mia had come around earlier in the day, a dress shirt in hand with a new pair of dressy pants. The shirt was a black, long sleeve button up. She instructed me to roll the sleeves up to my elbow, and leave the top button undone. Apparently this made girls go crazy. Her words, not mine. The shirt was super comfy, and surprisingly roomy considering how tight it looked on me. The pants went on next, a cream colored denim, that stopped right on my ankles. They bunched up slightly, so I popped a pair of low cut sneakers that Mia had put aside for me. I look over myself in the mirror. She was a wizard, my fingers ran through my hair, messing up my hair slightly. I almost don't recognize myself, there's no denying the outfit is doing a ton of favors. My mind was still reeling from the decision, my wolf on edge slightly. He could feel the thoughts eating me up, which isn't ideal. Werewolves can lose control if their emotions become very overwhelming. It hasn't happened to me in years, most learn control at a very young age. My siblings and I were no exception.

My phone lit up, displaying the time. 6:30 pm. Lucy would be waiting for me to pick her up, so I shoot her a text to let her know I'm heading her way.

Her parents were at the door when I arrived 30 minutes later, greeting me and fluffing around us. Her mother was absolutely gushing about how cute we looked together, talking about the mating ceremony they had just been informed of.

"We are so grateful to have you as our son in law" she exclaimed gleefully. Everything was being suppressed in my mind, my only focus on getting through tonight to process what was happening. I smiled politely and agreed, saying how exciting and unexpected the news was.