Chapter Twenty

The roof of Bastille's central park was the perfect place for Camila to gaze at the prince shamelessly. He fidgeted nervously as they waited for the pack to fully gather in front of the house.

Mila, you're distracting me, his voice resounded in her head.

She didn't respond and instead turned her intense gaze away from him. In her peripheral vision, she could see him slump in relief.

Hmm.

“As you may have noticed, your Alpha's title has been stripped,” the prince said.

Camila's head whipped back to him at the profound authority in his voice. She felt herself subconsciously leaning forward as if to get closer and physically grasp an unnamed feeling in her hands.

Mila, you're doing it again, he said.

Sorry, she replied, not feeling apologetic in the slightest. After taking a few deep breaths, she managed to calm her beast that was craving contact with her mate and tuned into the prince’s speech, just at the right time.

“...have received information that some of the members of this pack are a part of the treason against the monarchy.”

Camila's senses sharpened automatically. The smell of pine trees enveloped her first and after, the smell of fear and panic. With the rapid increase in heartbeat and adrenaline, it wasn't difficult to pinpoint the particular individuals that needed to be questioned.

The first set of tranquilizer darts flew through the crowd, straight into the necks of six individuals. The eole around them shrieked and tried to ut as much distance as they could between themselves and the unconscious bodies. About twenty others shifted from their positions and began to move through the crowd as quickly as possible. The rest of the pack looked upwards towards the blur, jumping from rooftop to rooftop.

As expected, some of them escaped her grasp, more accurrately, five escaped her. They ran right from her towards the borders that were tightly protected by the defense warriors. Camila whispered into her communicator. “Five ran into the forest, Decebel.”

“Roger that, Your Highness.”

Before Camila could correct him, he turned his communicator off. Camila let out an annoyed sound and continued running quickly to blur her movements. In a few minutes, three black vans drove into the area and parked at the edge of the meeting grounds. Four cloaked men came out of each van in unison and began to haul all the fallen men in without saying a word. The murmurs of the pack members were at all time high as they watched their friends and family being thrown in.

Freda pulled out a wolf whistle, one of Camila’s creations that largely amplified the frequency that a regular dog whistle made. Camila hadn’t made that in large quantities because the Shifter Council of Scientists had banned the item, deeming it too dangerous for use. The one in Freda’s hand was a prototype that released the lowest frequency that Camila had created and was the only one they had allowed her to keep. Freda put on her extremely effective noisecancelling headphones and and blew into the whistle. In unison, all the wolves fell to the ground, clutching their ears. The prince was the only person who remained standing besides Freda, rubbing his ears with a slightly dazed look on his face that soon cleared after a few seconds.

“Now that I have your attention,” the prince said. “I can assure you that your loved ones would be returned safely if they are found free of crimes. However, if not…” Suddenly, he smiled brightly to dispel the grim toic and looked at Camila. “Come down, librarian. We have work to do.”

As soon as they returned to the safety of the old Alpha’s office, Camila looked at the prince with a harsh glower that had him shrinking into the wall. “Do I look like a librarian to you?”