Chapter 28

Walking faster than my normal pace, I tried to keep my eyes forward, not wanting to be caught gawking like the tourist I was.

Then, I snorted at my own idiocy.

Who else would be going here?

Ahead, the towering buildings parted to reveal the busy intersection that was my goal.

Serves me right.

Overwhelmed by the people and in a rush to get up to fresh air, I'd taken the wrong path out of the subway and accidentally ended up on 40th street. Disoriented, it had taken me a minute to find my bearings and start walking in the right direction.

Of course, the dizzying sensory overload that greeted me didn't help.

Lights and signs and sounds assaulted me from every angle. Billboards for Broadway shows fought for attention, advertising shows I hadn't even heard of.

Not for lack of trying.

After breakfast, I'd checked if there were any matinee performances, but barely anything was open on Mondays, and nothing was showing before seven.

It's for the best - I'm going to be getting a very different performance tonight...

Giddiness bubbled up within me, thinking about Jason's promise and wondering what he had planned for us.

Walking along, I kept a tight hand on my purse, dubiously eyeing anyone who got too close.

A busker in an off-brand costume came up to me, asking if I wanted a photo. I declined, smelling a scam.

Besides, what would I want with a picture of not-Spider-Man?

It only took minutes until the novelty wore off. Surrounded by shops I had no interest in buying from and restaurants I had no interest in eating at, I found myself slowly strolling back toward the Metro entrance.

As I was passing a caricature artist's stand, mind boggling at the prices, a souvenir shop caught my eye.

Okay - maybe I'll get a memento.

Stepping past a couple arguing in syllables I didn't recognize, I meandered through the wares, looking for something cheap and easy to pack. Shirts, magnets, keychains and shot glasses failed to interest me, and I was about to give up on the entire idea.

Then, across the way, something caught my eye.

A large, garish machine stood near the entrance, bright red, with the inner mechanical workings encased in plexiglass.

A penny-pressing machine.

I felt a grin forming on my lips, remembering what Jason's father had said about his collecting habit. Digging out my wallet, I checked the coin purse and noted a handful of quarters and a few bright, copper pennies.

Perfect.

There were four designs, each depicting a different New York City landmark. I selected the one specific to Times Square and inserted my coins, turning the handle first for mine, and then for Jason's.

Slipping them into my wallet, I tucked it back in my purse, taking a moment to check my phone.

A notification rested on the screen. Opening it, I saw a message from Sierra bemoaning her upcoming midterms.

Glancing out the large shopfront windows, I smirked, wondering what she'd say if she knew where I was.

Why not find out?

Outside, I headed back into the fray until I reached a decent vantage point. Then, raising my phone, I took a photo of myself wearing a cheeky smile with the iconic landmark visible behind me.