Skip a Beat

"Tzutzu, I love you."

It kept echoing in Dahyun's head as she woke up from a long night. She hadn't been able to get enough sleep, as she spent the whole night suppressing her sobs to prevent anyone from waking up. Unfortunately for her, this bad night had reflected on her face.

"Girl! Why do you look so bad today? Did you not sleep well?" Chaeyoung asked her best friend.

Dahyun just peeked at herself in the mirror before washing her hands and heading out silently. She wasn't in the mood to talk about her feelings.

--------------------------------------------------

"LAST CALL! ALL NEW MEMBERS HEAD TO THE KNIFE ROOM FOR A MEETING," a voice spoke for the third time from the speaker as all members were heading to the meeting.

Dahyun, Chaeyoung, Mina, and Tzuyu were standing together in the knife room, waiting for the meeting to start.

"I wonder what they want to talk to us about," Tzuyu broke the silence in a monotonous tone.

Dahyun scoffed and answered, almost whispering, "As if you don't have a connection with a higher-up."

Even though it was a whisper, the others managed to hear her and were taken aback by the coldness in her voice.

"Dahyun, are you okay?" Mina asked.

Dahyun brushed it off and kept silent.

"Congratulations everyone once again!" Nayeon started talking while getting closer to everyone, who went silent. "You must wonder why you're here."

Some people nodded, while others kept silent, starstruck by Nayeon's beauty.

"Since you officially joined our faction, your job starts from today onward," she walked toward Yugyeon. "First, you'll go with Yugyeon, where you will help unload the trucks and load others." She then skipped to Jeongyeon. "Then Jeongie here will guide each one of you to your own room where you will be living from now on." Everyone started cheering, excited about having their own room and privacy for the first time since they arrived, while Nayeon was busy trying to flirt with Jeongyeon.

Everyone was busy talking about the room, and the big leader was busy with her assistant, but that didn't last long as Sana cleared her throat and the room went silent. Even Nayeon stepped back from Jeongyeon. She scared everyone, EVERYONE, except a certain pale girl.

"Nayeon forgot to inform you of the last important information," she said coldly.

"Oh yeah... Starting tomorrow onward, you will undergo a second test." Everyone seemed disappointed—they had just finished a test.

"But don't worry," she continued. "This test isn't to eliminate or qualify you; it's to train your mind to think like a Dauntless in case of a certain situation." She explained, "You will have your first test tomorrow. If you show a Dauntless mind, you will immediately get a job in the city to protect and defend civilians. Meanwhile, those who don't will have to go through training until your minds are shaped like a Dauntless soldier."

Everyone was relieved but bummed; they were excited to start exploring the city as Dauntless soldiers.

"Alright, everyone," Yugyeon called. "Follow me."
-----------------------------------------

"Kim Dahyun," someone called as the pale girl was leaving the knife room.

She turned around and found herself face-to-face with the one person she didn't want to see: Sana.