𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

⸻As the elk drew nearer, the trio felt the walls of their world closing in. Kida and Matt exchanged tense glances, each mirroring the other's uncertainty. They couldn't predict when the elk might change direction or what their intentions were. Matt tightened his grip on the axe, ready to defend them if necessary. The elk continued their slow, menacing advance. Emily, on the verge of tears, was paralyzed by fear. She despised the outdoors, and this harrowing experience only reinforced her aversion.

In contrast, Kida had a more nuanced relationship with nature. Over the past year, she had discovered a new appreciation for the wilderness, finding solace in hiking, meditating, and cloud-watching. She often shared her protein bars with the wildlife, understanding the harsh realities of their survival.

"Matt, what are you gonna do? What are you gonna do?" Emily's voice was trembling, her dark nails digging into his jacket so tightly that Matt feared losing circulation in his left arm. He knew Emily's panic was justified, but he remained composed.

"Stay calm... relax... they're just deer... they just want to check us out, is all..." Matt tried to soothe her, his voice steady.

"No, no, no, Matt, they're gonna hurt us—" Emily's voice was rising in pitch.

"Shhh..." Matt urged gently.

Kida took a deep breath. "I'll guide us through."

"Are you sure?" Matt asked, his voice laced with concern.

Emily cut in, her fear bubbling over into frustration. "Who cares? Let's get out of here!"

Kida bit back a retort, knowing this was no time for petty arguments. Instead, she focused on the elk, which still held their ground. She began to move forward, her heart pounding in her chest. Each step was deliberate, a silent pep talk propelling her onward. As she approached the elk, she extended a hand back towards Matt, signaling for him to take it without breaking her gaze from the animals.

Matt didn't hesitate. He reached out and grasped Kida's hand, her soft, velvety fingers intertwining with his larger, calloused ones. The connection felt grounding, a lifeline in the midst of chaos.

Kida led the way with slow, measured steps, her eyes never leaving the elk. The tension in the air was palpable, every breath a fragile thread holding them in place. Emily clung to Matt, her breaths coming in shallow, panicked gasps. Kida's calm presence seemed to radiate outward, creating a bubble of tentative safety around them.

"Just keep moving," Kida whispered, her voice a steadying force. "We'll get through this."

The elk watched them with dark, unblinking eyes, their bodies tense and ready. Matt's grip on the axe tightened. He could feel his pulse pounding in his ears, the urge to protect his friends clashing with his hesitation to harm the animals.

"What if they charge?" Emily's voice was a desperate whisper.

Matt's jaw clenched. "I... I don't want to kill them," he admitted, his voice strained.

Kida squeezed his hand reassuringly. "We won't have to. Just stay calm. We're almost there."

The elk held their ground, a silent standoff. Matt could see the fear in their eyes, mirroring his own. They were just as trapped in this moment as he was. Slowly, the elk began to shift, allowing a narrow path through. Kida moved first, guiding Matt and Emily with a steady hand.

They continued until they came across one deer that started to become aggressive, blocking their path. Kida's heart pounded in her chest, alarm flashing in her eyes as Matt swiftly let go of both Emily's grasp and Kida's hand. He swung his axe back, ready to strike.