xiii. riddle's favorite little darling

Few talk about how difficult it is to wake up the day after losing someone you love; no one talks about the five seconds after opening your eyes, when you are oblivious and can't recall a single thing

Few talk about how difficult it is to wake up the day after losing someone you love; no one talks about the five seconds after opening your eyes, when you are oblivious and can't recall a single thing. You feel happy and carefree, until every memory tumbles back into your head, and you feel something invisible punch you in the chest. It's like you suddenly realize how cruel life truly is.

This morning, the cruelty seemed almost unbearable. Not only because of the loss of a loved one, but also because she didn't know what the future would bring. But no matter how terrible life got, there was always one thing that mended her — the water.

The sun was about to rise when she left a note for him and slithered her way down to the lake. She knew there were still many hours left before the students woke up. She stripped down to her underwear and dove into the freezing water. Curling into a ball, she let herself sink to the bottom.

After losing people close to her, even years after their deaths, she would still get caught in moments when someone's laughter, a certain smell, or an old song reminded her of them.

Now, she wondered what was going to remind her of Amalia's love. The color yellow, flowers, dolls, and other pretty things, probably. But also ugly things, like blood, the skull on her arm, and pain. Amalia had deserved a gentler death. Darya would always blame herself for taking it from her.

She swam to the surface again, letting her lungs fill with air. Thinking of Amalia, she came to wonder how the Siren Transfiguration Spell worked. While every Siren was able to heal with the power of the ocean, they couldn't transform into their Siren self — with a tail, fangs, and claws — and heal more powerfully before someone they had loved, and who had loved them back had died.

Alternatively, they could get help to transform from a family member who had lost someone they loved, which was what Darya had done her entire life. She had always asked her mother for help when she needed to swim somewhere. But now that she had lost Amalia, she had to ask herself: was it possible that she could transform alone now?

She had certainly carried a lot of love for her patient, and Amalia had shown love in return. Did the love have to be romantic for the change to work, or could the love of friendship suffice? She knew the Transfiguration Spell like the back of her hand, after watching her mother use it on her a thousand times. She needed to give it a try.

Darya swam to the grass, finding her wand under the pile of clothes. Pointing it at her own legs, she moved her hand in a triangle shape.

"Syreni Voco," she said and watched a light burst out of her wand.

The change began. Her nails turned into claws, her teeth into fangs, and her two legs into a long tail. Immediately feeling stronger in her Siren form, she dived to the bottom of the lake again, this time with immense power and speed. She swam with the fish and grindylows, passing the village of the merpeople, while water passed through the gills on her neck. The spell had really worked.