xiv. baby, kiss it better

When Darya was a child and bad things would happen, like when she would disappoint someone or someone hurt her, she would tell herself over and over again that the pain was only temporary

When Darya was a child and bad things would happen, like when she would disappoint someone or someone hurt her, she would tell herself over and over again that the pain was only temporary. That it would only hurt that much and feel so raw at that exact moment.  A good night's sleep or a long swim would usually take away the majority of the pain.

However, it's hard to tell yourself that the pain will be gone tomorrow, when you feel like you have lost everything. A few days had passed, and her thoughts were eating her whole body. She looked Tom Riddle in the eyes, and when he looked back, she wondered if he was thinking: 'I'm going to ruin you'. If he wasn't, he had probably been thinking it the first time they met, anyway. 'You're mine now.'

She was wearing black for the night. It had to be the first time in years she was wearing it — she hated the color. It reminded her of funerals. It was a long, flowing dress of midnight black, adorned with subtle, shimmering silver threads that caught the torchlight on the wall with every movement.

Her wand was hidden within the folds of her dress, a comforting presence despite the danger that surrounded her. Tonight, she would play a dangerous game, weaving a web of deception to protect those she loved.

"Come closer," Riddle commanded. "I want to give you something."

He brushed his hand along her arm before reaching into his pocket. He pulled out a small, intricately crafted seashell, glowing with a soft, ethereal light and handed it to her. She took the seashell, her fingers trembling slightly. As she held it up to her ear, the sound of gentle waves filled her senses.

Then, she heard a voice—Amalia's voice and laughter, as clear as if she were standing beside her. Tears pricked at the corners of her eyes, but she blinked them back, forcing herself to stay composed.

"I thought you might find solace in this," he said, his tone uncharacteristically soft. "Amalia's death was unfortunate..."

"I-I- How did you do this?" Darya's voice broke.

"Magic has many facets, Darya. This is but a small comfort I can offer you for your loss. Amalia was dear to you, was she not?" Darya nodded as he spoke, her throat tightening with emotion. His hand tilted up her chin. "Grief is a powerful motivator. It can fuel great strength if you let it."

She wanted to believe that there was a sliver of kindness in everyone, even in him, and that this gesture was more than just manipulation. But she couldn't forget who he was, what he had done.

"Thank you," she managed to say. He scoffed in return.

As they stepped into the Drawing Room at Malfoy Manor, the atmosphere shifted. The room was filled with Death Eaters, their faces partly hidden behind masks. They all looked the same, but she could still tell which one of them was Regulus. Her heart pounded as she took her place among them, the seashell still clutched in her hand and the sound of Amalia's voice echoing in her mind. The ceremony was about to begin.