41 - Eva

Volume V

"So princess, how have you been since you returned?"I walked a couple feet behind, trying not to listen in to what they were saying

I walked a couple feet behind, trying not to listen in to what they were saying. King Charles was making an effort at small talk, but she wasn't very receptive.
"How have I been? Well... it feels strange being back here after so long. But I should be asking you, how does it feel coming out of your castle after so long?"
I tried not to cringe at the somewhat sharp tone she used, can't she just let him down nicely?
He seemed to handle her sarcasm well, as he responded in a lighthearted manner.
"It feels wonderful to step out into the open air again, and set my worries down at the door as I leave. I trust you feel the same returning back here." He sighed and kept his hands clasped behind his back.
"You know, Princess, I may have been cooped up all that time, but I still heard about the trouble that suitors had trying to court you."
I raised my brows at his boldness, but I suppose he is a King and she just a Princess. She even seemed caught off guard and looked up at him, carrying an unimpressed expression.
"Why is that?" He continued, clearly not bothered.
She huffed and looked back to the path in front of her.
"Do you want the honest answer or the polite answer?"
He cocked a brow and spoke. "No need to sugar coat it for me."
"Because none of the men who have tried are nearly good enough, brave enough, or strong enough. All of them are silly and spoiled noblemen and Kings."
She really did not care that he was a King of a neighbouring kingdom, she was speaking very plainly.
"But what makes you think these men aren't brave or strong enough?" He continued.
She shook her head and looked up at him once again. "Because I live with my brother, and I see what real strength looks like."
Charles responded with silence, a slow and thoughtful nod was all he gave her. I felt bad for the poor chap, he actually seemed to be doing alright with her, but he may recognize that it probably isn't worth the time.
They walked a little while longer before they looped back towards the Castle doors, talking about this and that, the Kingdom in its glory days, amongst other things. She actually opened up to him a little bit, which was quite surprising to me. But night had come, and I was to walk the King to his room for the time being. Princess Eva was escorted to her room by two Knights, which would station themselves outside her door to prevent her from running. We also have one outside, beneath her bedroom window. She was allowed to sleep in her bed tonight, since sending her right back to the cells seems slightly cruel after a day like today.
"Have a goodnight my Lady," the King held her hand gently and kissed the top it of. She gave him her best attempt at a grateful smile but I could see right through it. She entered her chambers and closed the door, leaving myself with the King. He let out a long sigh, and looked at me as we walked.
"She's a tough nut to crack."
I nodded, unsure if it was appropriate of me to reply.
"She is."
"I imagine Archibald will have to give me the bad news tomorrow, that she is not interested. Perhaps I best be the one to begin that conversation."
"You never know, your majesty." I spoke. "I thought you were actually getting through to her a bit."
He chuckled and gave me a charming grin. "Thank you Adamus, but I'm not so hopeful."
I smiled back and brought him to the beautiful guest room that was assigned to him. We had guards stationed at the door in case of emergency, so he should be perfectly fine through the night.
"Here it is." I gestured toward the door.
"Thank you," he lowered his head and smiled. "I appreciate it, you're a good man. I can tell."
I pressed my lips together out of humility, sometimes I feel I'm the furthest thing from a good person.
"Thank you."