The New World (3)

No snow has fallen in the sky yet. The trees had shed most of their leaves. The area was covered with red and orange, intruding on to the bumpy road as well. There hadn’t been any encounters after the first one which was a breath of fresh air since the tension of having to battle another one of those monstrosities had been eating at Noah. It was just a normal road trip for now with an unknown destination. As of just now, Noah realized that he had no clue where they were going.

“Alexis, where are we going?” Noah asked.

“A city further south from here, I’m meeting up with an old friend. He asked me for a favor. We’ll have to sleep somewhere though since the drive will take around a day,”

“That goal that you told me, what is it that you’re trying to do?”

Alexis thought of how to explain to Noah. He sat in silent to piece together the words he wanted to say.

“I wasn’t born here in this land, I was born up in the sky,”

“When the amalgams where wreaking havoc across the continent, many
countries pulled their resources together towards a project so that humanity can undoubtedly live,”

“Project Stargate, a plan where they would make a city float up above the clouds,”

“No amalgams would touch them and their treaty with the Solkin would prevent attacks from them,”

“That’s where I was born and raised, and where a revolution happened. A failed one, the one where I was a member in,”

“I was able to escape through a pod that landed me back here,”

“I haven’t given up on them, I have to come back to see my family, and my comrades,”

“But for that, we’ll need a bunch of materials to power a device that will gets us there,”

“After we succeed, then I’ll be able to have the ability to help you solve your situation,”

Noah took everything in and was in disbelief with everything he said.
“How did they do it?”

“They used ether. It had negative mass and was able to interact with normal matter. Massive amounts of ether were used to lift it up,”

“You said that ether was emitted from the soul of the people, then how did they get all the ether they used?”

“I… don’t know,”

A grim realization. Sometimes it’s best for things to be forgotten. Noah was disturbed by the theory, wanting to ask something else, he points out to the trees.

“The trees back in the forest still had leaves on them, why?”

“Do you really want to know? What those things back there are made out of?”

Another silent ambience, with another question unresolved. Everything feels like a result of a horrific action. Nothing seems innocent around here. Looking back towards the trees, they seem to fly past them as the unnoticed sun slowly set. The car lights were turned on to better see the road. A place to stay was in need. Camping was not an option since they had no tent. Alexis soon turns to the left revealing a dirt road. It looked to be that he knew a place to stay.

A small trail led to a lake side house. Though it seems they weren’t the only one present. Noah points out a car parked near the house itself. There was a chance that there were already permanent residences inside but considering the house itself was run down and the lack of safety measures for amalgams makes it highly unlikely.

  The most probable possibility is that there are survivors taking refuge inside. They might be able to help give more information about the situation on the road and other vital details. As Noah silently thought, Alexis tells him to give the shotgun to him. Noah knew what intentions he had and opposed going down that route.