𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

⸻As the night of fun and bonding with friends began to fade away, the lodge settled into a quiet stillness. Each friend drifted into their own activities, seeking solace in the isolated corners of the expansive cabin. Matt decided to relax by the fire, feeling the need to reflect and gather himself.

He sank down onto the plush rug in front of the hearth, the warmth of the fire providing a comforting cocoon against the chill of the mountain air. The crackling of the logs and the soft glow of the flames were a welcome contrast to the noise and chaos of his everyday life. Matt let out a long, deep breath, feeling the tension of the day slowly ebbing away.

The invitation to Josh's lodge had been a much-needed reprieve. His day had been a whirlwind of responsibilities, starting with his part-time job at the local grocery store. As a stocker, he dealt with endless shelves to fill, a nagging supervisor whose demands seemed never-ending, and customers whose needs felt overwhelming. The constant hustle left him drained, yearning for moments of peace like this.

Beyond his job, the looming uncertainty of his future weighed heavily on his mind. Just yesterday, he had submitted his college applications, each form a step toward his dreams. He had spent countless hours perfecting his essays, gathering recommendations, and filling out forms. His hopes were pinned on these applications, the culmination of years of hard work and dedication.

Matt had promised himself that during his senior year, he would pour his energy into his studies, determined to excel. He wanted to be the best he could be, to make his family proud, and to prove to himself that he was capable of achieving great things. The support of his friends, especially Chris and Ashley, had been invaluable. Their encouragement and assistance had given him the confidence to apply to five colleges, with the hope that he'd be accepted into at least three.

The firelight danced in his eyes as he lost himself in thoughts of the future. He imagined the excitement of receiving acceptance letters, the thrill of stepping onto a college campus, and the promise of new adventures and opportunities. But with these dreams came a hint of anxiety, a fear of the unknown, and the pressure of expectations.

Matt also had something else on his mind as he drifted his eyes towards the couch where a figure continued to slip deeper into slumber. The sight of her peaceful face bathed in the soft glow of the firelight captivated him. Kida looked so serene, so content, and Matt couldn't help but watch her, his heart swelling with affection.

He wanted to finally build the courage to tell Kida how he was in love with her. Matt wasn't oblivious; he knew that love could come at any unexpected time. He had always wanted to be her other half, even though they were already incredibly close. Their deep connection as best friends was undeniable, forged through years of shared experiences, unwavering belief in each other, and an unshakeable trust.

Throughout the years, they had been there for each other through thick and thin. During the hardest times, Kida had been his rock, just as he had been hers. He valued her and their relationship so much that the thought of losing it terrified him. But the desire to take their bond to the next level, to explore the potential of something more, was growing stronger every day.

Matt's hand found its way towards hers, gently intertwining her wine-colored nails with his fingers. The simple touch brought him comfort, grounding him in the moment. He knew he had to tell her how he felt, but the timing had to be right. He couldn't risk waiting too long, not when the stakes were this high.

He always questioned if she felt the same way. Kida was flirty by nature, bold, and confident in a way that often left him guessing. He thought about the banter they had shared earlier in Sam's car, when she had teased him with the words, "I'll make you my boyfriend. Be careful."