32 ⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆ i'll fight for us

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌕 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

thirty-two

'You are the love that came without warning; you had my heart before I could say no.'

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌕 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

PAUL

"We must go!" Stilgar shouts in Chakobsa as my wife and I follow the female Fremen down the rocks. "We must go!"

He walks to us, holding out his hand. "Give it to me."

I look down at the pistol in hand, heaving a sigh as Jamis removes his mask, slowly standing and staring me down.

"You will have your own maula pistol when you've earned it," Stilgar continues and he makes it clear that he's not playing around. "Give it to me."

I meet his gaze for a moment, glancing at my wife, before I curl the pistol and stow it in its original form, handing it to Stilgar.

"Chani, take charge of the newcomers," he says as Chani nods. "See that they are safe on the journey. Let's go."

"I will not have them," Jamis says, his tone firm and defiant as we look back.

He moves closer to us, his gaze flitting between my wife and I, bringing up a protective anger that starts to bubble.

"Jamis," Stilgar replies, "I have spoken. Be still."

"You talk like a leader," Stilgar says to me, and my wife's hand is on my hip once more, staring him down like she has more inside her than just a healer. "But the strongest leads." He looks at Stilgar, who hasn't turned around. "She bested you. I invoke the amtal."

Mother steps forward, ready to fight for us.

"You may not challenge a Sayyadina," Stilgar firmly says, causing my mother to stop.

"Then who will fight in her name?" Jamis asks, clearly itching for a fight.

"Jamis, don't do this." Stilgar warns him as he turns around. "Don't. The night is fading."

"Then the sun will witness this death. Where is her champion?"

I glance down at the ground before I meet my wife's gaze.

Till death do us part.

Before I can step forward, (Y/N) already passed Jamis, shifting her shoulders as she stares at Jamis.

My heart leaps into my throat, worried for her. If I lose her, I don't know what I'll do.

Duncan is already gone. I cannot lose my own wife.

"I accept her champion," Jamis says to her.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

The sun rises over the horizon, signaling the start of a new day.

But right now, it doesn't feel like this will be a good one.

The Fremen all find places on the rocks, crouched down and murmuring to one another as my wife prepares to fight Jamis.

I find her with a hand on the wall, and I step closer, placing my own over hers, the ducal signet I wear warming up against her fingers.

Voices whisper around me as my fingers slide between hers, and my eyes widen as I watch her fight.

She fails to get a hit, and the pain feels like it's in my chest as I watch her fall.