𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧

Commercial Break

Old Hotel

⸻Ashley and Chris found themselves navigating the depths of the Washington Lodge basement, a place now cloaked in an atmosphere of eerie abnormality. Strange occurrences plagued their steps—doors creaking open on their own, objects inexplicably flying off the walls, and the haunting presence of a ghostly figure.

Chris, a staunch skeptic of the supernatural, found his beliefs tested. He always prided himself on being grounded in reality, adhering to the mantra, "Believe it when you see it." Yet, the night's events shook that foundation. The reunion with his longtime friend Josh had been filled with the hope of rekindled camaraderie, but it quickly turned into a nightmare with Josh's tragic death.

Chris struggled to reconcile the loss. He had known Josh since they were kids, their bond unbreakable through the years. The Washington family had always felt like an extension of his own. Losing Josh, especially after the disappearance of Hannah and Beth, felt like losing a part of himself. He couldn't fathom how Bob and Melinda Washington would cope. Their daughters were gone, and now their only son had met a violent end.

Ashley, sensing Chris's turmoil, tried to remain calm despite her own mounting fear. She had always been the more intuitive of the two, feeling the weight of the lodge's tragic history pressing down on them. Her heart ached for the Washingtons, and for Chris, who seemed to be sinking under the grief.

Chris wanted to remain strong as he didn't want fear to consume him like the moment he had watched his friend's life be whisked away by a saw blade. He couldn't get the screams, the sight of torment from Josh's face, out of his mind. Chris regretted having to choose between him and Ashley. They were both held hostage, and Chris had been forced to make that impossible decision. Neither of them should have had to die, but the psycho thought otherwise.

Who was this sick fucker? What were his motives? Could it be that guy released from prison, as he recalled listening to the voicemail in the dining room of the lodge? Or the wanted poster by the cable car station as he, Kida, and Sam were leaving the shooting range? These questions gnawed at him, but answers seemed elusive.

He looked to his left, where Ashley trailed in fear, her every step hesitant, her eyes darting around, afraid of what might happen next. They felt like they were on a scavenger hunt that could lead to doom, finding clues that had the psycho's fingerprints all over them. Chris's heart ached for her, knowing the terror she must be feeling. He vowed to protect her, to make sure they both got out alive.

As they continued deeper into the basement, Chris couldn't help but reflect on the events that had brought them to this point. The night had started with such promise, a reunion of friends meant to heal old wounds and celebrate the future. But it had turned into a nightmare.

Ashley's voice broke through his thoughts, trembling with barely suppressed panic. "Chris, do you really think we'll make it out of here?"

Chris swallowed hard, pushing down his own fear. "We have to believe we will, Ash. We've come this far. We can't give up now."

Ashley nodded, though her eyes were still wide with fear. "I just... I can't stop thinking about Josh. And Hannah and Beth. What if we're next?"

Chris squeezed her hand reassuringly. "We won't be. We're going to find a way out of this. Together."

Ashley's voice trembled as she spoke, her eyes wide with fear and confusion. "Chris... I'm getting a really weird feeling from all this..."

Chris glanced over at her, trying to maintain a calm facade despite his own rising anxiety. "What do you mean?"