PROLOGUE: A Brief Intro

CATFOLK:

IN THE DAYS OF OLD; all humans of the realm could feel magic. Sometimes, a rare human would be born, and they would be bursting with magical abilities that were drastically more powerful than the average human could fathom. These strong magic users were classified as mages, and in those days, many of the common folk respected the mages' miraculous talents.

The mages began to be seen, quite regularly, with a favorited feline companion, and they would fondly refer to these particular cats as their "familiars". A bond between a mage and their familiar became vital for both of them to thrive. The closer the bond became, between a familiar and a mage, the more powerful a mage's spells could be. The familiars, in return, received luxurious amounts of doting from their mages. A familiar who felt unhappy with their human companion invoked a magical sickness upon that mage, and it would last for the entire duration of their familiar's discomfort.

Centuries would pass, and with the growing harmony of the bond between the Familiars and their Mages, the cats began to evolve their intelligence and could speak human languages. Not long after that, the mages and familiars came to a mutual agreement for the creation of a new spell. One that transformed the bodies of the familiars into a hybrid form of human and cat. Their new bodies stood bipedal, closely resembling a human's body in almost every way. Certain features remain from their previous cat bodies, like; ears, eyes, and claws. Half of their bodies are covered with fur that varies in color and patterns. Some of the familiars kept their tails and whiskers, too.

(This particular spell was created by someone whose name has now been lost to time, and the creation spell for this hybrid, is no longer known.)

Catfolk are now a species of people that have been slaughtered to nigh extinction, alongside all humans who had been powerful mages. 'The Mage Rebellion' was a sudden uprising of mages, and everyone who supported them, while trying to secure their freedoms to practice magic. It ended as abruptly as it had begun, and was devastatingly crushed by the realm's tyrannical High King.