𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

⸻Kida looked at the map, her eyes tracing the lines and pathways that sprawled across the page. Matt guided with the pickaxe in one hand and the lantern in the other, casting a warm but eerie glow that cut through the darkness. He kept his eyes forward, but his ears were tuned to Kida's directions.

"The mines are huge," Kida observed, noting the intricate network of tunnels. They had only traversed a small portion. She spotted the exit on the map, but the "You are here" dot marked their current position far from it. The exit was in the farthest corner on the left, indicating a long journey ahead.

The realization hit her like a wave, and she felt a rush of overwhelm swallow her. She couldn't afford to give in, not after the panic attack she'd just endured. She had to stay strong, for both of them. She needed something to anchor her, something to get her through this ordeal.

"Matt..." she began, her voice wavering slightly.

"Yeah, Angel?" Matt responded, his voice a soothing balm in the oppressive darkness.

Her heart fluttered at the nickname. Matt always called her that, claiming it suited her. But Kida knew there was more to it than that.

She took a deep breath, knowing the next question would bring tension but needing to ask it nonetheless. "What exactly happened that night?"

Matt froze in his steps, the suddenness of Kida's question catching him off guard. He hadn't expected her to press him about that night, especially not in their current predicament.

Kida, sensing his hesitation, squeezed his hand gently. "It'll distract me from the claustrophobia," she explained, her voice trembling slightly but determined.

"Are you sure?" Matt asked, concern lacing his voice. "You don't want to talk about anything else?"

Kida shook her head, her eyes pleading. "I'm sure. Once this is all over, I want to leave and never come back. So before I do, I need to find some sense of closure to move on from this."

Matt took a deep breath, nodding slowly. "Well... okay." He adjusted his grip on the pickaxe and lantern, readying himself to delve into painful memories.

Washington Lodge - A Year Ago

⸻As Matt and Ashley trailed toward the guest room, they overheard the animated conversation between Jessica, Emily, Sam, and Mike. The tension in the air was palpable, a mixture of excitement and something more that Matt couldn't quite place.

Jessica's voice rang out, tinged with anticipation. "It's almost time for the plan to unfold."

Sam, her curiosity piqued but also tinged with apprehension, asked, "Plan? What plan?"

Emily's eyes sparkled with mischief, her excitement barely contained. "We are going to play a little prank on Hannah, that's all."

Sam noticed the mischievous glint in Emily's eyes, a warning sign that whatever they had planned wasn't going to be lighthearted or harmless. A sense of unease settled over her.

"Prank?" Sam echoed, her voice tinged with skepticism and worry.

Jessica, eager to share the details, whipped out a piece of paper and thrust it into Sam's hands, cutting off her questions abruptly. Jessica's voice overlapped Sam's reading, explaining the plan with a gleeful malice that made Sam's stomach churn.

"We're going to write a letter," Jessica began, her tone dripping with excitement. "It'll be from Mike, asking Hannah to meet him alone in the guest room. When she gets there, Mike will act like he's into her, you know, lead her on."