Chapter 32

They stood in the space just beyond the stage. Annika observed her sister as she pretended to do her work. Now and again, she would glimpse at her phone, and Annika would try to peek at the screen. Annika still refused to believe that Alice was capable of murder. She wanted to walk over to where she was standing and shaing the senses back into her.

          Annika could hardly wait to take her to the station and interrogate her. She was desperate to know how Alice met this man and why she had decided to follow him down this dark road. She was angry at herself for not paying attention to her sister. Maybe she could have saved her if she hadn't been so selfish.

           The sound of Rio's voice resounded near her. He was warming up his vocals before he got on the stage. She didn't think he needed it. The man's voice was powerful and well-trained. When it rose, it remained steady and unwavering, and when it plunged- it did it so flawlessly. He could hold a note longer than she could breathe underwater.

           She peered around the corner at the commotion unfolding around him. Staff members were making last-minute adjustments to his outfit, hair, and make-up. It was their time to shine also.

           Rio would make a grand entrance from a trap door in the middle of the stage. Pyrotechnics and purple lights would usher him onstage to his screaming fans, who were currently chanting his name as DJ Ghost made his departure. They knew who was next in the lineup!

           Ronin walked through the black curtains separating the stage area from the back area. Seeing Rio, a smile brightened his sweaty face. He walked over, and Rio instinctively embraced him. Annika could sense the brotherly love they shared. She could see it in their eyes when they looked at each other. Ronin said something to Rio, and he nodded. Maybe it was some words of encouragement to the superstar as his fans continued to chant his name.

          For a moment, Rio was a god, and she could be a part of the excitement, but Annika felt it was better to distance himself.

          Ronin swept a lock of hair away from Rio's eye and started fidgeting with his outfit, like a big brother worrying about his younger sibling. Annika smiled. Suddenly, she was reminiscing about her and Alice. Who was the man in the jean jacket? The question hounded her. Her eyes drifted toward the floor, and when she looked up, Rio was heading toward the door that led underneath the stage.

"Miss Annika, you can watch the show from the booth? I will bring you some snacks and drinks," Oscar said, his voice sounding distant.

She turned and gave him a weak smile. "No, I think I want a closer view."

"You can stand in the pit, but it's so loud. You'll go deaf. Rio would prefer you stay in the booth." He pressed his palms together and webbed his fingers. He sighed deeply, his eyes growing large and twinkly. "Ah, that man loves you so much. He talks about you all the time. He admires everything about you. I wish I could find a man who would love me that way."

Pain stabbed her heart, making her body tingle. She wanted to hate Rio, but she couldn't.

"He told you about me?"

"Oh, honey, don't be so naïve, you already have such an innocent face. Everybody knows about you, not just Ronin and Solina. Rio has never brought any other girl to his show besides his mother and aunt. Friends get free tickets and a backstage pass. They don't get to hang out backstage before shows, watch him practice, or get treated like royalty. That's an honor reserved for his sweetheart." He sang the last word. "We all know about you and Rio. Don't hide it. Let the world know. That man loves you, girl. Don't you see the way he looks at you? It's like he sees his past, future, and present in you."