The Morning After

Shadows dance - a twisted waltz of memories and fears. She's trapped in a room - the walls closing in. His voice rings out - the same rage that once shattered her world. His words are shards of broken glass, cutting through Mia's fragile defenses. He mocks her, taunting the scars he left behind - the bruises, the fear. His sentences are disjointed, fragments of cruelty that echo in the darkness:

"You'll never escape, Mia."

"Remember who you belong to."

"I will find you, even in your dreams."

She tries to scream, but her throat is a barren well. And then, in the darkness, she sees him: the stranger - a lifeline or a mirage? The nightmare blurs - pain, desire and the weight of choices.

******

The alarm shook Mia awake - a high-pitched scream in the darkness. She fumbled for the snooze button, her fingers trembling. The room was blurry - the wallpaper faded, the curtains sagging. The bed held her like a coffin, memories clawed at the edges.

Morning light seeps through gaps in the curtains, casting a faint glow into Mia's room. She sat on the edge of her bed, her fingers tracing the quilt her grandmother had sewn - a patchwork of faded memories. The nightmare still clung to her, its tendrils wrapping around her chest, squeezing the air from her lungs.

She pushed herself upwards, the ground cold against her bare feet. The alarm clock blinked - its red numbers accusing. Time had fractured in the night, and she wondered if the nightmare had stolen hours of her life. His voice echoed - a venomous whisper that refused to fade. She headed towards her bathroom.

In the bathroom, she leaned over the sink.

Mia, a pretty young woman, stands in front of the bathroom mirror, a fragile canvas marked by the harsh brushstrokes of life. Her soft curves suggest vulnerability: the gentle swell of her hips, the curve of her waist. But her features, sharp and angular, tell another story. Her cheekbones could cut glass, her jaw a blade against the world.

Her eyes, once bright with hope, are now veiled in shadows and haunted by the past. The delicate curve of her lips hides secrets, bruises that have faded but never truly healed. Her skin, once porcelain, now bears faint scars - a road map of pain etched into her flesh.

Mia's hair falls in waves, a cascade of chestnut silk. But even its shine has dimmed, as if the sun no longer embraces it with warmth. Her hands, once tender, carry the memory of clenched fists - the nights she fought against his rage.

The mirror reflected a stranger, a girl with haunted eyes, matted hair, pale skin. She splashed water on her face, hoping it would wash away the remnants of the nightmare. But the mirror held its own secrets: the scars on her wrist, the hollows under her eyes. She wondered if anyone would see beyond the surface, if they saw the fractures within.

Outside, the tree in the courtyard stood, sentinel against time. Its branches reached toward the sky, as if begging for answers. The frost had melted, revealing a path - a thin line etched in the dew. Mia pressed her palm against the glass, wondering if she could pass and leave Willowbrook behind.

As she stepped out into the cold morning, the air biting her cheeks, Mia whispered to the wind, "Show me the way." The day stretched out on an empty canvas. She wondered if she could paint it with something other than gray.

The bell above the door jingled as Mia entered Willowbrook Bakery. The air changed from a cold morning to a cocoon of comfort. The walls were a faded yellow, like old parchment, and the wooden shelves were sagging under the weight of loaves of bread, pastries, and secrets.