𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

⸻As Sam, Matt, Ashley, and Chris sat in the living room, they shared their experiences of the night. It wasn't a competition to see who had the worst time; they had all endured horrors. Chris listened to Matt's story, and though he wanted to tell him where Josh was, he knew that doing so would likely send Matt on a rampage. Chris saw Matt as a gentle giant, someone who, despite being only two inches taller, had more strength and generosity unmatched by any of the guys in their group. Matt had always been there for his friends, through thick and thin, always motivated in his own way. Seeing him now, consumed by grief, was heart-wrenching.

Chris's thoughts shifted to Josh, contrasting him with Matt. Josh had always been a peculiar guy, and Chris remembered times when Josh's erratic behavior seemed like an act—perhaps inspired by one of his father's movie characters. But now, Chris realized he had been blind to Josh's need for genuine mental help. Josh had masked his instability well, and Chris felt a pang of guilt for not seeing through it. He understood Josh's desire for those who caused his sisters' disappearance to suffer, but this was too far. Too many people were hurt, too much had been lost. This wasn't the Josh he knew and loved.

Chris's heart ached as he thought of Kida, Emily, and Jessica. Each girl had held a special place in his life, and now they were gone. The weight of their loss pressed heavily on him, and he knew he had to move forward despite the pain.

He looked at Ashley, her face pale and eyes filled with tears. He reached out and held her hand tightly, finding some solace in her presence. Could this be what Josh had meant when he said he wanted to bring people together? If so, it was the most twisted way to do it.

Chris squeezed Ashley's hand, drawing strength from their connection. He knew that despite the horrors they had faced, they had to find a way to survive and move forward. This tragic event had brought him closer to Ashley, and he hoped that together, they could find some way to heal.

Chris opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by a sudden, frantic pounding on the door. Sam, Chris, and Ashley jumped up, rushing to see what was going on, while Matt remained lost in his grief.

"Let me in, let me in!" came a desperate voice from outside.

Ashley's eyes widened with familiarization. "Is that—?"

"It's Em!" Sam exclaimed as she quickened her steps in urgency.

Chris didn't hesitate. "Let her in! Quick!"

Chris, Ashley, and Sam ran to the front door. Chris yanked it open, and Emily practically fell inside, her face pale and eyes wide with terror.

"Shut the door! Oh, my God, shut the door!" Emily cried as she scrambled backward with terror and apprehension.

Chris slammed the door shut, locking it securely. "Em, are you alright?"

Emily collapsed to the floor, shaking. "I didn't think I'd make it..."

"You were screaming bloody murder," Chris said, his voice filled with concern.

"Are you okay?" Sam asked, kneeling beside her.

"You look totally wiped," Ashley added, her face etched with worry.

Emily's eyes darted around the room, her breathing ragged. "There was something... something's out there..."

"Em, you should come sit down," Sam suggested gently.

But before Emily could move, she burst into tears, her sobs wracking her body. "Oh, my god! Oh, my god! I should've grabbed his hand! I should've said I was sorry!"

"Em—" Sam began, reaching out to comfort her.

"I was such a bitch to them both! I didn't mean for anything to happen!" Emily cried, her voice filled with regret and anguish.