Chapter Two

Late Tuesday Afternoon, August 26th:

     Hot water trickled on my back as I lathered conditioner in my hair. "Settle Down" by the 1975 courses out of my phone speaker. I turn the faucet off, the bath mats fluff slides between my toes as I dry myself off. I grab my phone to check for any notifications.

Harvey: Can we facetime, I'm trying to pick an outfit?

     I pressed the hang up button on our call and pull my blowdryer out. I put my makeup on and layered a few necklaces over my white bell sleeve top. My heeled boots were zipped and my purse was on my shoulder so I grabbed my keys, locked the door and headed for the parking garage. I shot Harvey a quick text and took a took a swig of root beer.

Me: hey can you send me the address?

Harvey: oh yeah sorry. i'm already here i'll just send my location.

Me: thanks :*

I played with the hole in my black jeans at the red light. The car behind me honked, shaking me out of my daydream and I pressed the gas.

***

Tuesday Night, August 26th:

Me: hey harv i'm here where are you??

Harvey: i'm out back by the pool with julie

     I trekked past groups of people talking and dancing to the sliding back door and waved my hand at Julie. "Hey Julie!" I called out to her. She and Harvey were talking to a tall guy with long brown hair. I could only see the back of his head but Harvey and Julie seemed really focused on their conversation. "Hey guys," I said when I reached them. I stood next to the tall boy facing them. "Who's this?" I asked turned towards him.

"I'm Harry." he said simply. My eyes grew, is that Harry Styles... yes it is.

"Oh hi, it's nice to meet you." I tried to keep my breath even and my voice at a normal pitch.

"And you are?" he asked politely.

"Logan." I replied. Harvey interjected, "Logan your hair looks especially green today."

"Really?"

"I think it looks blue." Harry stated, he lightly touched the end of one strand. I looked up at him as he put his hair up in a reasonably sized bun.

"So what were you guys talking about before I walked over and intruded?"I asked.

"Harvey is thinking about getting a new tattoo tonight." Julie answered.

"Oh really Harv, what of?" I asked. Harvey and I had a few small matching tattoos, it isn't obvious that they're matching tattoos because they're all quite simple and small.

"I was considering adding something to my sleeve." Harvey told me.

"Oh yeah same, maybe I'll get one tonight too." I added.

"I know a really cool guy in LA, he did this one." Harry said pointing at the ship tattoo on his bicep.

"I love it," I said.

"Can I get you a drink?" Harry asked me.

"Sure." I replied as Harry beckoned me to follow him inside. The house was packed and for a second I thought I lost Harry in the sea of people but suddenly he grabbed my hand, "This way." he said with a grin.

***

"So what do you do Logan?" Harry asked once I had a sprite in my hand. We stood in the kitchen facing one another, I leaned against the kitchen island.

"Well, I'm a student at CSULA, and I'm also a hostess at a restaurant. What about you?"

Harry chucked, "Uh, I sing in a band, One Direction, ever heard of us? We're really small and underground."

My eyes widened with embarrassment. "Oh sorry, that was such a dumb question, I'm just used to reciprocating the question I was asked, you know like when you're at the airport and someone says, 'have a safe flight', and you say ' you too,' even though they're not traveling?" I said through nervous laughs.

"Yeah," Harry replied, still laughing lightly, "do you want to dance?"

"I'd love to."

***

I felt a buzz in my back pocket, and checked my phone:

Harvey: Are you and Harry dancing?

Me: yeah

Harvey: I'm so jealous, you're dancing with fucking Harry Styles dude

I turned my phone away and out of Harry's view.

Harvey: hey have you been drinking?

Me: no why?

Harvey: Julie and I want to head over to the tattoo parlor, but we can't drive there do you think you could take us?

Me: uh yeah hold on

I pulled Harry aside to so he could hear me.

"Do you want to come with Julie, Harvey, and I?" I shouted over the music.

"Sure, where are you guys going?" Harry's eyebrows furrowed.

"The tattoo parlor." I told him.

"Yeah okay." Harry replied and grabbed my hand again as I walked towards the front door.

We pushed through people as just as we reached the door, two girls came up to Harry and asked for a picture.

"Uh yeah sure." Harry replied and released my hand to pose next to them. The girl handed me her phone, and I quickly snapped the photo and handed her back her phone.

"Thank you so much Harry, I love you!" She said to him, almost on the brink of tears.

"It was no problem! Have a safe night!" Harry told her before giving her one last hug and walking off with me in tow.