Prologue

I was jolted awake by the soft footsteps that were heading towards my room. I made sure not to make any noise as I reached for the dagger that was on my bedside. I stayed in the sleeping position I was in. My door was opened in a rush and light appeared in my room. As the person approached my bed, I turned quickly and with the dagger I placed it across the person's neck. Once I saw who it was, I placed it back in my bed. "Madame Rei, why are you waking me up in the middle of the night?" I asked, annoyed. I had a lot of things to do when I woke up and I hated it when someone interrupted my sleep.

She looked distressed as she said, "It's the Firelord, m'lady. He's out and about claiming that he heard someone enter his bedroom." Once she said that I rushed to Zuko's room. She followed me as I took a few turns and found Zuko outside looking enraged and crazy.

"Zuko, what are you up to right now?" I asked as I approached him. Both his hands were flamed as he continued to look at the darkness.

"Someone is here to kill me!" He shouted and I looked at the guards who told me that no one had passed by his room. I took his wrists and he immediately extinguished the fire. I still wasn't fond of it but I was getting better.

"Let's go relax in your room." I said as I led him to his room. I ordered Madame Rei to send someone to bring us some chamomile tea. Once I closed the door, I sighed. Zuko lit up his room with the multiple candles that were around. He then gasped as I found him staring at me with a slight blush. "What?" I asked as I put my arms around me. I realized I was still wearing my sleeping robes. But what did he expect? I wasn't going to change. "C'mon sit beside me." I told him and he did.

"I know what you're going to say. I'm being paranoid." he said with a frown and I shook my head.

"No, you're not. There's been five assassination attempts on your life. I don't blame you for being paranoid. I know it's stressful right now, running this nation but we'll make it through. I'll be there for you every step of the way." I told him as I took his hand and he leaned on my shoulder.

"Thank you for being here." he said with a yawn.

"No need to thank me. I'm your best friend, remember?" I said with a smile.

After the tea was brought, it calmed Zuko immediately which was rare. We spoke stories of our complicated childhood but with all that had happened, it seemed like our childhood was easier. After an hour, I decided I was tired. I stood up and stretched and Zuko looked alarmed. "Where are you going?" He asked.

"To bed. We have a busy day tomorrow." I said as I yawned.

"Could you stay for the night?" He asked and I stopped mid stretch.

"Are you crazy?" I asked.

"I just know I'll sleep better when you're here." he said as he stood up with an encouraging smile.

"I'm not sleeping on one of your sofas," I said as I looked around his gigantic room. "I want a bed."

" You could sleep in the bed with me." he said it as if there was nothing completely wrong with that.

"Do I need to remind you have a girlfriend and I have a boyfriend! I'm just gonna say Sokka's not going to be happy." I told him. He was already hurt that I decided to stay in the Fire Nation to help Zuko.

"We're not sleeping with each other," he said and I gave him a 'really' look. "You know what I mean." After begging and begging, I caved in. I felt really guilty but he was right. I wasn't really sleeping with him. Plus we were sleeping on the opposites of the bed. I got in and I sighed in comfort. His bed felt way better than mine's! We wished each other goodnight and I hoped rumors wouldn't circulate in the palace as I closed my eyes...

~~~~~~~

It was warm and I liked it. I wish I could stay like this, I thought as I felt the sunlight hit my eyelids. I opened my eyes then realized there was someone's arms wrapped around me. I gasped as I try to sit up and I glanced at a sleeping Zuko who was... shirtless! He wasn't shirtless last night! And why were we cuddling? Zuko pulled me back down and cuddled me tighter. I could see the smile he had on his face. I couldn't tell if he was still asleep or not but this needed to stop. "Zuko wake up." He didn't budge. " Wake up before I water whip your behind." I said sternly and his eyes shot open and he let me go. "Why are you shirtless?" I ask as he gets out of bed. He stretches and shamelessly, I stare with a blush on my cheeks. Who looked this hot when they just woke up? I watched as I saw his back muscles stretch and...why were his pants that low? Dear Agni....

Don't you have a boyfriend? Shameful this morning are we?

Kiki said in my head and I blinked multiple times before I got off the bed real quick. "Where are you rushing to?" Zuko said as he came towards me and I closed my eyes.

"Wear a shirt."

"You didn't seem to mind a few seconds ago." Zuko said and I groaned. Why was he this cheerful? What happened to grumpy Zuko?

"JUST PUT IT ON!" I shouted and I heard him rush to the chair he had thrown it. I opened my eyes and sighed in relief till I heard,

"WHY CAN'T I SEE MY BOYFRIEND? DON'T MAKE ME SLIT YOUR THROATS?!" She shouted and we both gasped as we said at the same time,

"Mai!" I ran out of the room through the window and turned indigo real quick. I flew quickly to my room and I was glad to find the window open. I laid on my bed and sighed in relief.

I know you must be wondering, How did we get here? what happened? It all happened...

ONE YEAR AGO.....