Strings Echo

Wei Wuxian was born to be a star. With a voice that could charm angels and fingers that danced over piano keys and flute holes with unparalleled grace, his ascent to fame had been meteoric.

He was a force of nature, relentless in his pursuit of musical perfection, and his passion left him with little regard for his health. Late nights, grueling tours, endless recording sessions-Wuxian embraced them all with a fervor that bordered on reckless.

Lan Wangji, on the other hand, was the epitome of serenity and precision. A renowned neurologist, Wangji was known for his calm demeanor and unwavering dedication to his patients. His days were filled with meticulous diagnoses and gentle, yet firm, reassurances.

When Wangji had met Wuxian in high school, he had been captivated by the other boy's vivacity and talent. Years later, they had found each other again, their paths converging in an unexpected and beautiful harmony.

But now, as he stood in the doorway of their shared apartment, Wangji's heart ached with worry. Wuxian was seated at his grand piano, headphones on, oblivious to the world around him. The clock on the wall read 2:15 AM.

"Wuxian," Wangji called softly, but there was no response. He stepped forward, gently touching Wuxian's shoulder. The musician jumped, pulling off his headphones.

"Lan Zhan! You startled me." Wuxian grinned, his eyes bright with the excitement of his latest composition.

"Listen to this new piece I've been working on."

But Wangji's concern was palpable. "Wei Ying, it's late. You need rest."

Wei Wuxian sighed, his shoulders drooping slightly. "I know, but I was so inspired. Just a little more time, okay?"

Wangji shook his head. "You've been at this for hours. Your ears need a break."

Wuxian smiled affectionately, reaching out to take Wangji's hand. "You're always worrying about me."

"Someone has to," Wangji replied, his tone gentle but firm. "Your ears are under constant strain. Have you been experiencing any more ringing or discomfort?"

Wei Wuxian hesitated, and that was answer enough for Wangji. He led Wuxian to the couch, sitting down beside him. "Tell me," he urged.

"It's just a little ringing now and then," Wuxian admitted. "Nothing serious."

"Wuxian," Wangji said quietly, "your hearing is critical to your career. You need to take care of it."

Wuxian sighed, leaning his head on Wangji's shoulder. "I know. I just get so caught up in the music. It's like I can't stop."

Wangji wrapped an arm around Wuxian, holding him close. "I love your passion, but you have to be careful. Promise me you'll take breaks and not overdo it."
Wuxian nodded. "I promise."

The next morning, Wuxian awoke to the smell of breakfast. He stretched and yawned, the events of the previous night a distant memory.
In the kitchen, Wangji was preparing their usual fare-steamed buns, congee, and fresh fruit.

"Morning, Lan Zhan," Wuxian greeted, wrapping his arms around Wangji's waist from behind.

"Good morning," Wangji replied, his voice a comforting rumble. "Breakfast is almost ready."

Wuxian hummed happily, planting a kiss on Wangji's cheek. "You're the best, you know that?"

Wangji's lips curved into a small smile. "Eat well. You have a busy day ahead."

Wei Ying groaned. "Don't remind me. I have a meeting with the record label, and then rehearsals all afternoon."

"Just remember to take breaks," Lan Wangji reminded him gently.
"I will," Wuxian promised, though he knew it would be difficult. His schedule was packed, and his dedication often meant he pushed himself to the limit.