Chapter 1 - The Failed Scientist

Prologue

His heart pounded relentlessly, each beat echoing in his ears. Sweat dripped from his forehead, slicked his palms, and dampened his shirt under his arms. It was as if the universe delighted in making him acutely aware of his discomfort at the worst possible moments. He had always struggled with nerves, and public speaking was no exception.

Despite his vast knowledge of the human brain, he couldn't silence the primal signals of fear. He felt like a Stone Age hunter facing down a saber-toothed tiger. But this wasn't a life-or-death encounter—it was a conference presentation. Yet, this one felt different. It was the biggest stage of his life, the culmination of years of work. He was about to unveil a revolutionary breakthrough in medicine, a potential cure for neurological diseases that could change humanity forever. People would learn languages in minutes, memorize books with a click, even share memories directly.

Niko stepped up to the podium, the weight of his life's work on his shoulders, and began his speech. "Esteemed colleagues, welcome to the future."

Chapter 1

3 years earlier

The weather was relentless, with rain hammering down in sheets, turning the streets into rivers. The grey sky hung low, oppressive and unyielding, as if determined to drench every inch of the city. The air was thick with the smell of wet asphalt and the faint scent of jasmine from the nearby park. Niko knew he'd be soaked by the time he reached work. At least it gave him something to bond over with his colleagues. Recent results had been disappointing, casting a pall over the lab.

For nearly two decades, Niko had immersed himself in the world of nanomedicine, dreaming of breakthroughs in treating neurological diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. His work was pioneering, but progress was agonizingly slow. The challenge lay not only in the technology but in the brain's stubborn defenses.

The blood-brain barrier was a formidable adversary. It allowed only select particles through, making it hard to deliver drugs where they were needed most. And even if he could breach this barrier, the brain's delicate tissue posed another hurdle. Damage was often irreparable, and targeting specific areas was fraught with risks. The immune system also had a nasty habit of eliminating his nanoparticles before they could do any good.

Niko often thought about how impressive his job sounded. "I'm basically trying to put super small devices into the body," he'd explain. People were fascinated, which was one reason he chose this career—a mix of genuine passion and the thrill of being at the cutting edge.

As he pedaled through the rain-soaked streets, Niko felt the weight of his sixteen-year struggle. At 42, single, and feeling older than his years, he knew something needed to change, fast.

Singapore had grown oppressive. The once-vibrant city now seemed draped in a veil of tension, the government's grip tightening, breeding anxiety among its citizens. The neon lights that once bathed the streets in a cheerful glow now seemed harsh and interrogative. Niko had adapted, as everyone did, but today felt different as he cycled under the constant rain into the STU campus. His friend and colleague, Ryan Lee, greeted him with a smirk.

"Morning, boss. Raining outside?" Lee's voice had that usual lazy drawl, his casual demeanor always being a contrast to Niko's urgency.

"Just a little," Niko replied, shaking off his coat, droplets splattering onto the polished floor. "Is someone in the meeting room?"

"Two suits. Government types. Didn't say much."

Niko's stomach knotted. Unannounced visits were never a good sign.

T

he figures in the meeting room weren't the usual officials from the Singaporean Ministry of Health. Instead, two strangers stood waiting. The man was towering and muscular, his face marked by acne scars, giving him a rugged, intimidating presence. His dark suit barely contained his broad shoulders, making him resemble a bear ready to break free. The woman, in stark contrast, was strikingly beautiful and impeccably dressed. Her tailored blazer and pencil skirt highlighted her poised elegance, every movement exuding confidence and precision.

"I'm Special Detective Najjar from the CIA," she said in a clipped American Southern accent, her tone brooking no argument. "And this is Detective Singh from the Ministry of Defence of Singapore. We need a moment of your time, Professor."

Niko's anxiety spiked. "What's this about?"

Detective Najjar didn't mince words. "The American government has a proposition for you. We need you to come with us on an urgent project, located overseas."

"What are you talking about? Why me? Why not someone from the States?"

"We've already recruited Professor Edmundsson from Caltech, but we need your assistance as well. Trust me when I say this, Professor: This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

"So what is the project about, exactly?"

"I am not in a position to share any details with you at this moment, Professor."

Niko felt a rush of indignation. "You can't just expect me to drop my work here without knowing what this is about."

Najjar's eyes hardened, the light in them turning cold. Before she could respond, Detective Singh spoke in a baritone voice:

"I believe that you will realize you have no other choice, Professor. In my hands, I have your resignation letter from the Ministry of Health, effective immediately. You are expected to leave with Detective Najjar today. If you don't comply, you'll face detention and jail time in Singapore."

"Our plane leaves in three hours. Be on it.", Najjar added.

She handed him the papers and walked out, her heels clicking sharply against the floor, leaving Niko stunned and reeling.