40 ⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆ reverence and the waters

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌖 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

forty

'Water is the soul of the Earth.'

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌖 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

"To the well, our water we return," the Fremen chant as some set down Jamis' wrapped body onto a kind of table that holds a human-sized dip.

They start to unwrap it as another speaks. "We bless our brother, Jamis."

"We bless our brother, Jamis," the others repeat as one cuts his necklace.

Another places a paste over his eyes, ears, nose, and mouth, blocking anything that could stop the process of retrieving his water.

Someone else cuts the strings of his stillsuit; another gets handled a sheathed crysknife as they retrieve any valuables.

They drape a tarp over his body before suction cups are placed, sucking out all the air in a vacuum-wrapped seal as the Fremen chant.

The seal tightens as the tubes gather his water, sending it through a filtration system as one of the nearby warriors hands another a kind of oddly-shaped canteen before they connect the tube to the object, filling it with water.

The canteens are passed on before they are tipped over and drained into the well, which holds so much water that it looks like ice.

One could see their own reflection.

As Stilgar leads Jessica past some of the men and women who pray over the process, Jessica looks around, stunned by the sight of things.

Her gaze travels to the millions of liters of water, shocked to see how much of it there is amongst the rocks.

"Thirty-eight million decaliters," Stilgar says as he approaches her side. "None of us, even dying of thirst, would ever drink this water. This is... sacred."

Another canteen is poured.

"Jamis' water," the man continues, looking over at where Jamis' body lies. "We have a thousand such places. When we have enough water, the Lisan al-Gaib will change the face of Arrakis. He will bring back the trees. He will bring back..." Stilgar shakes his head with a low rumble, "a Green Paradise."

"So many souls," Jessica whispers, taking everything in and a small bell rings in the distance.

A tear falls, and Stilgar says something, reaching out to dab his thumb on the corner of her eye, gathering the water and taking it in his mouth.

"Never give your water away, not even for the dead. Hmm?"

"Why are you showing me this?"

"Because you are Bene Gesserit. Because you understand the prophecies. The mother of the Lisan al-Gaib will be a Reverend Mother." Stilgar explains. "And the companion... his wife will become the Sahibah, the companion. Our Reverend Mother is dying."

"You want me to take her place?" Jessica whispers.

"Yes, I do."

She nods, her gaze flitting down before it meets Stilgar's. "You believe in Paul? In (Y/N)?"

"There are signs," Stilgar replies, though his heart is full of conviction. "Yes."

"What if I would refuse?"

It's a rational question, but it prompts Stilgar to answer quickly. "Mmm. Then, he's not Lisan al-Gaib nor is she Sahibah, and you have no purpose to serve. What else is left to do then but to return your water to the well?" He clicks his tongue. "Huh."

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Paul, (Y/N), and Jessica talk amongst themselves as they get ready to head outside of the sietch, stillsuits at the ready.

Jessica gives them an update, explaining what Stilgar told her.

"It's an honor, isn't it?" Paul asks, glancing between his wife and mother. "I think you should feel honored."

"Well, it was a choice between this or death," she muses, "so, you know, forgive me if I'm not flattered."

(Y/N) chuckles, her husband glancing at her. "How does one become a Reverend Mother?" she asks, curiosity taking over.

 "It's different from one culture to another," Jessica says. "Here on Arrakis, I have no idea."

Paul watches her for a moment. His emerald-grey irises watch her carefully as he notices something. "You're afraid."

"Reverend Mothers are tasked with holding the memories of all the Reverend Mothers that came before them, so I'll be given centuries of pain and sorrow."

"Is it dangerous?" Paul asks.

"It's lethal for men," his mother says, and (Y/N) subtly grins.

No wonder there's no Reverend Fathers, she thinks to herself.

"That's for sure."

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

So sorry for the wait!

I was binge-watching Bridgerton.

Also... new story on the way! (Shhhhh... take a guess on who the actor is.)