Prologue

Say Hello | Jolieanne#SHPrologue

#SHPrologue

It's strange and funny at the same time how certain memories may seem just as vivid and real as the day they did. How it sticks with you, clear as day, even after all these years.

The sound of raindrops against my window always brings me back to that moment - when our lives collided, well, quite literally, in the middle of a sudden downpour. The rain today was heavier compared to the past few days, drumming hard against the big glass window of my room and leaving a distinct, almost rhythmic thud behind each of its drops. 

The rain seemed relentless and it made it difficult to hear anything else, it drowned out the typical sounds of the city outside.

I leaned back in my chair, the sound of its creak serving as a comforting reminder of the present. My room is a mess. The pale yellow colored duvet on my bed lies unfixed, not tucked in or anything. It's crumpled because I just got up from my three hours of sleep, which was supposed to be only a thirty-minute nap. It looks comfortable though, like I could just crawl in anytime if I wanted to and forget about everything else even just for a while. 

The desk in front of me is a mess. Papers are scattered everywhere - some with notes for my latest projects, others containing doodles and half-formed ideas, few post-it notes pasted on my monitor. My journal lies open, its pages laid bare to the last entry I've written, filled with all of my thoughts and reflections. Isa ang pagsusulat sa mga naging paraan ko para makatakas sa ingay ng mundo, to make sense of everything that's happened, to make sense of all that I've felt.

"Gwyneth? Are you in there?" Corrine's voice came through the door, sinundan 'yon ng isang marahang katok.

"Yeah, come in, Corrine!" I called back, shuffling some papers to make some space on the desk. Hindi na ako nag-abala pang itago ang lahat ng mga kalat na nasa desk ko, wala na rin naman akong chance at isa pa, sanay na sanay na rin si Corrine sa'kin. It actually makes me laugh sometimes.

Corrine opened the door and entered the room, her usual bright smile lighting up the room. Napunta ang tingin niya sa desk ko at nagtaas ng isang kilay. "Still the same old chaos, I see."

"Well, some things never changed." I gave her a playful grin. 

To the left, the easel stands with an unfinished painting, a burst of vivid hues that have not yet found their perfect form. Maliban sa pagsusulat, isa rin ang painting sa mga hilig 'kong gawin. It's another form of escape, a way to express what words couldn't. But lately, I find it hard to finish anything. 

Pakiramdam ko ay mayroong nawawala, pakiramdam ko ay kulang ako and I don't really know how to deal with it anymore. There's a restlessness inside me and I'm afraid that it might consume me whole.

Napansin ni Corrine ang painting, napunta doon ang atensyon niya. She nodded towards it, "Any progress with your painting?"

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair, "Slowly. I'm hoping to finish it before this month ends."