9 - Nightmare

You think the world is dangerous, sweetheart? Oh, Honey

You think the world is dangerous, sweetheart? Oh, Honey... you're in for a treat, aren't you?

How would you like it if I ripped that small little trachea from your throat? Would it be delicious? I wonder.

COME HERE.

I screamed, shooting up from my bed.

My eyes searched the dark room, feeling sweat stick my hair to my temples as the heat in the room swarmed me like bugs.

I ran my fingers through my hair.

Nightmares... that's all it is... nightmares.

Everything would be alright... everything... Yeah.

Suddenly, my door burst open, and I screamed again, jumping backwards.

My head slammed against the headboard behind me, and I cried out a third time, curling in on myself as the lights finally switched on.

I winced as my eyes burned with the brightness, and I finally ended up gazing up.

Kai stood at the door, eyes wide in shock.

Oh... it was him. I thought he was someone else.

Why was he looking at me like that...? And... What time was it?

I lightly rubbed my hair with my palm, breathing slowly now as the panic dissipated. "You scared me."

He suddenly straightened, as if now on alert, and sighed. "I can go—"

"No, please, don't," I said then, still rubbing my head. "I... I don't think I want to sleep again."

His eyes softened, and he just sighed, stepping in the room and closing the door behind him.

I watched lazily as he made his way over to me, and he sat on the side of the mattress, looking at me fully.

"Here," he said, lightly catching my hand and lowered it to the bed, "let me see."

I stared down at the mattress as he leaned over me and set his hand on my scalp, gently running his fingers along the skin and making my lashes flutter.

But his index finger hit the sore spot, and I winced when a sting burned through me.

He pulled away immediately. "Yeah, you have a little goosebump. But no concussion, it looks like. The goosebump is relatively small, too. You'll be alright."

His words slipped a soft, warm feeling through me.

Ease.

And it wasn't because of what he was talking about, it was the fact that he said that I'd be alright...

For some reason, I didn't take it as an assurance of no injury, I took it as if...

I was safe.

"You okay?" he said then. "You look a little lost."

I gazed up at him then. "Oh, yes, yes, I'm fine."

His brows drew together. "You sure?"

I nodded numbly.

"What do you want me to—"

"Stay," I said immediately. "Please... stay."

He watched me for a moment. "What do you want me to do?"

I gazed down at his legs then, finding them both uncrossed and covered in the soft fabric of his sweatpants.

I then leaned down, eyes weighing as he stiffened, and I just set my cheek on his leg, making his breathing quicken.

I curled up against him, pulling my arms to my chest as his eyes softened even more.

"Here," he said, "give me a second."

I parted my lashes then.

Did I go too far...? Was this not okay?

"Sit up for a second, Maya," he told me.

I listened—hesitantly—and sat up, staring sadly down at the sheets as a sudden frost consumed me.

Kai just shuffled more onto the bed, making me gaze up when he settled his back on the headboard and gazed up at me, smiling softly.

I stared, unsure of what he wanted.

He opened his arms. "Come here."

I watched him.

He chuckled; a sound I swear I'd never heard from him. "Don't act shy now."

"How do I..." I said then, lips pursing, "I don't know...."

He just smiled. "Sideways, on my lap. Here, I'll guide you."

He caught my arm and tugged it toward him, making something inside me burn brighter and brighter.

I crawled over to him, trying to understand what he wanted, but he just pulled me until I sat in his lap—sideways—like he told me.

"Here," he said, lightly pulling my head to his chest as I gazed up curiously at him. "Oh, and this, too."

I watched as he caught the covers and pulled them over me, and I gazed back up at him when he tucked it under my shoulders, making sure every part of me was covered.

"There," he said kindly, "that's better. Now you're warm."

Yes... so warm it felt like a sin.

He just wrapped his arms around me. "You can go to sleep now."

I stared down at his chest. "Okay."

Yes, I could.

Nothing could harm me in his arms like this, a shield of protection, an electric fence.

I was safe now.

A/N
Hey, guys! Sorry, I am losing inspiration for this novel so I am updating slowly bc I have none! I'm trying!

A/NHey, guys! Sorry, I am losing inspiration for this novel so I am updating slowly bc I have none! I'm trying!